First time smoking a Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

new2smoker

Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
El Paso, Tx
First time smoking a Boston Butt. After sone research on here I went with a yellow mustard coating then rubbed with Cattlemens Steak house meat rub. Still haven't decided on a sauce any recommendations are welcome. 8# Butt went in at 7 am.

The best all around rub and sauce is Jeff's that he sells the recipe for on here. They are very easy to make and use. Very user friendly, can be tweaked to your personal taste.

The proceeds from the sale of the recipes go toward the maintenance of this great site.
Give 'em a try.

You may also want to try a finishing sauce.

Here's one from Chef Jimmy J

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip  add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

Hope this helps,

Al

Thanks Al...Sauces really depend on your taste. I like a Tangy Finishing Sauce, above, in the Pork and some Sweet with Heat on the Pork. I make a Sweet KC style BBQ Sauce, keeping it mild for the Wife and Kids and mix in some minced Chipotle in Adobo for me...JJ

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup

1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)

1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2C Molasses

2C Dark Brn Sugar

1T Tomato Paste

1T Your Rub

1-2tsp Liquid Smoke

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.

Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

NOTE: Add minced Chipotle in Adobo to taste for HEAT...

HI Smokin Al---

This is my first time smoking a 9lb pork loin shoulder and I have it prepared and ready to go in my MES. Two dumb questions----can I leave it in the aluminum foil pan during the 9hrs and do I put it "fat side up" while cooking?

Thanks so much!

Kathy

Yes you can leave it in the pan. I do it all the time.

Fat side down if your going to smoke it in a pan.

And your questions are not dumb, don't be afraid to ask anything.

Al

HI Al--

Thanks for your quick response! I actually put it in without the pan but have the drip pan below it
30.gif

I have the temp set at 225 for 13hrs. I will feed it chips approximately every hour. I have the vent half open. Should the final internal temp be at 190 degrees???

Kathy

Hey from Beaufort, South Carolina!!

I found a taco recipe that calls for smoked Boston butt. Have never smoked meats and we have the XL BGE. I'm going going to fill the charcoal bowl with good lump. What chips? I understand the plate, legs up, with aluminum drip pan set on balled up foil. Understand burping.. Recommendations for rub? Can't wait to do this [emoji]128515[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky