First time pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
Done a lot of butts but never a pork loin. So here's my idea, I am planning on injecting with Lawry's herb and garlic marinade, season with just salt, black pepper and paprika. Smoke with lump and some applewod at 225-250 till 125 degrees, then slather on some original Stubbs bbq sauce, take it to 145 degrees, pull it off the smoker and wrap for 1/2 hour and slice. Don't know if I really want to do the Stubbs or something else sweeter? Going to do this tomorrow so I have plenty of time for the expert advice I always get here.

What they said, X2
Plus I'll add, brine that sucker, wet brine and/or inject brine.
Especially if cooking above 140°.
It will stay juicy, tender and delicious.
So I can wet brine and then inject? Any recipes for a sweeter thicker sauce, maybe 50/50 Stubbs and honey? Thanks Al, think I'll take it to 140 then, last thing I want is a dried out pork loin roast. Will try to smoke closer to 250 than 225.

Last edited:
Looks like you're covered . I use Tony C's creole butter on pork loins .
Like said watch that internal temp . The last 10 degrees or so goes fast .

Reactions: smokininidaho
I put a pan of water or stock under it while smoking.
I like the stock idea . That way you can simmer the stock on the stove . If the slice is to pink for someone , run it thru the stock to further cook a bit . Not boiling , just a simmer .

You got all good pointers by some knowledgeable folk.
To me Stubs has a more of a texas Southwest robust flavor to it- more like tex-mex with chile and cumin. So what flavor profile are you exactly shooting for? No wrong answer here, but a sweeter sauce probably more common with most pork cooks.

You got all good pointers by some knowledgeable folk.
To me Stubs has a more of a texas Southwest robust flavor to it- more like tex-mex with chile and cumin. So what flavor profile are you exactly shooting for? No wrong answer here, but a sweeter sauce probably more common with most pork cooks.
I'm not quite sure, Mom always put garlic in her pork roasts, always loved them that's why I'm going with the Lawry's inject. Just want something different. Stubbs tastes to me just like a vinegar based bbq sauce, very good on ribs for sure. If I inject it should be plenty moist. I'll be watching closely as it comes to temp, thanks chopsaw. Found a good brine recipe that I made and fixing to brine now. So far as the glaze think I'm going to go with 50/50 Stubbs and honey.

Yes! On heavy on the garlic on pork roasts! That Lowreys should be really good!
I guess I should be more specific about the Stubbs. That comes in many flavors. Which one do you have? I'm presently working on a bottle of hickory bourbon that I was talking about.

Yes! On heavy on the garlic on pork roasts! That Lowreys should be really good!
I guess I should be more specific about the Stubbs. That comes in many flavors. Which one do you have? I'm presently working on a bottle of hickory bourbon that I was talking about.
Original Stubbs sauce vinegar based, tomato paste, brown sugar, paprika, molasses, black pepper, chili pepper and that's the main ingredients I believe.

Pulled off the smoker at 140 and wrapped, smells great! Brined for 24 hours. I injected with 50/50 Lawrys and apple juice as the Lawrys smelled pretty strong of vinegar.

porkloin.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky