First time Pastrami w/ qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mole177

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I went  with the short cut buying some corned beef.

5ed14677_SDC10540.jpg

97633771_SDC10542.jpg

d8e1c445_SDC10543.jpg

Been in around 3 hrs... can't wait till i get it out!

Should I let it rest then steam? or just proceed to steamer?

Looks good, I just did my first pastrami this weekend.  what are you using for spices?  I just microwaved mine to warm it up.  Actually ran to the fridge and just grabbed some to munch on several times!

Looks like a great start!!

after 4 hrs of 220-230f smoke,

pulled at 160f, rested for  an hour.

as is, a tad chewy, sliced the best i can with my trusy knife.

99e63164_SDC10551.jpg

01af39af_SDC10553.jpg

cb8d123b_SDC10556.jpg

981aa52d_SDC10555.jpg

that's a potato bread loaf i made to go along with the strami.

I take mine to a little higher temp, but I usually set it in the fridge to either steam later or slice thinly for sandwiches.  Having said that, yours sure looks nice.

icon_cool.gif

Well you pastrami looks awesome and I know you can't wait for that potatoe bread and alittle mustard too. I'm not sure if there's a post in wiki or not on corning a brisket or not. I corn my own and believe me once you taste your own corned beef you will be hooked on that to. I just looked and there isn't a thread on making your own homemade corned beef.  I guess I'll have to get busy and write one.

I steamed the pastrami after letting it rest.

Following day after in the fridge over night, the left over strami became tough. Is that normal?

I was assuming it would still have been tender. I didn't bother re-steaming, I only ate a pinch.

Yours looked very good. As to the toughness. I usually take mine to 165 degrees then foil with beer & then to 205. Wrap in towels in cooler & let rest for a couple of hours. Then in fridge and slice thin against the grain when cold. It should melt in your mouth. They cook much like regular brisket, some take longer than others. I've had them go anywhere between 8-17 hours. They tend to stall just like flats.

The two times I have done pastrami, my MES quit on me part way through and I had to foil wrap and finish in the oven.  Both times, they turned out very good.  Tender and tasty.

That may say something about foiling on smoked meats:-}}

Yours looked very good. As to the toughness. I usually take mine to 165 degrees then foil with beer & then to 205. Wrap in towels in cooler & let rest for a couple of hours. Then in fridge and slice thin against the grain when cold. It should melt in your mouth. They cook much like regular brisket, some take longer than others. I've had them go anywhere between 8-17 hours. They tend to stall just like flats.
I do allmost the same as al, But after leting mine rest  for a few hours i put it in the fridge over night then 2-3 hr steam the next day b4 slicing. The steaming seems to help the tenderness alot.

For the steaming, how do you guys go about that? Do you use a broil pan and put water in the bottom and into the oven? Never made one and they look delicious! 

Thanks,

Chris

You take a skillet with a cover. Put some water in it and get it simmering. Put some slices of pastrami in foil and wrap loosely. Put it in the skillet on top of the water and cover it for like 2 minutes. Throw it on some rye with some spicy mustard. That's how my Mom in NY did it when I was just a wee lad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky