First time out with our new rig.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Great, Steve!!
Really Roughing it, Eh??:emoji_anguished::emoji_wink::emoji_anguished:
I loved camping, when we were kids, but learned to enjoy my recliner since.
Mrs Bear always wanted a log home, but I fought it off because of the high upkeep. WE both liked Mountains & we both liked log cabins.
So we built a Log house on a small mountain top, so we're vacationing all year around, every year.

Bear

Incredible scenery and a nice rig. Good all around!
Thanks!
Looks like a good time Steve congrats! Me and Emily are getting one in 3 years after #3 and #4 go off to college
Thanks Jake. We waited way too long to do this. Strike when the coals are hot my friend.
Steve... That Smokey Joe makes the best camping smoker there is... Just search for Mini WSM's builds... there are many here... what's nice about them is you don't have to modify them so they can still be used as a grill as well.. 2 cookers in one ...

We have downsized our camper...
went from this 40'diesel pusher (leaving Nascar race at Bristol)
View attachment 643591

To this... 33'

Very nice rigs! I thought the smokey joe is a nice grill to bring along. You went from a 40'pusher to a 33' tow. How were the changes for you?

Looks Great, Steve!!
Really Roughing it, Eh??:emoji_anguished::emoji_wink::emoji_anguished:
I loved camping, when we were kids, but learned to enjoy my recliner since.
Mrs Bear always wanted a log home, but I fought it off because of the high upkeep. WE both liked Mountains & we both liked log cabins.
So we built a Log house on a small mountain top, so we're vacationing all year around, every year.

Bear
Thanks John! We're still trying to decide on whether to camp year round. Or find a place to stay. And RV from there. Either way. We are moving from NY.

You went from a 40'pusher to a 33' tow. How were the changes for you?

Each have their pros and cons ...

Pusher Pros
VERY easy to handle, Drove like a dream.. No side sway from passing trucks.. Better on fuel (12 mpg) even with gen set running for house a/c... More comfy while driving (Honey, will you fix me a sammich and a drink) ... More outside storage ... Auto leveling... Auto Satellite... Can tow anything... Amongst other things ... But then again, American Eagle is top of the line coaches ...

Pusher Cons ...
Maintenance cost... (ie. Tires, drive train service, parts + labor.. etc.)... Insurance... and other

Camper Pros
HHHHmmm

Camper Cons
Fuel mileage (8-10 mpg)... Manual set up (hand crank leveling jacks) not much outside storage (one pass through compartment)... Need a good tow vehicle ... Flat tires mostly unnoticeable (until somebody comes up beside you and tells you) with major damage to camper...

We do miss the coach and probably will have another one after retirement (4 more years) and thinking of full timing...

Reactions: Steve H
My wife would Love a RV. Is that something that both can drive? I guess it depends on how big and long it is?

My wife would Love a RV. Is that something that both can drive? I guess it depends on how big and long it is?
More so on the lines of if your wife would be comfortable driving it...and doing so safely. I'm from the Midwest so my wife drives tractors, combines and the like as good as any man. Not sure if she would want to even try a 40' diesel pusher. But also see many ladies driving semis around here also.

Ryan

Reactions: ConrodM and Steve H
Each have their pros and cons ...

Pusher Pros
VERY easy to handle, Drove like a dream.. No side sway from passing trucks.. Better on fuel (12 mpg) even with gen set running for house a/c... More comfy while driving (Honey, will you fix me a sammich and a drink) ... More outside storage ... Auto leveling... Auto Satellite... Can tow anything... Amongst other things ... But then again, American Eagle is top of the line coaches ...

Pusher Cons ...
Maintenance cost... (ie. Tires, drive train service, parts + labor.. etc.)... Insurance... and other

Camper Pros
HHHHmmm

Camper Cons
Fuel mileage (8-10 mpg)... Manual set up (hand crank leveling jacks) not much outside storage (one pass through compartment)... Need a good tow vehicle ... Flat tires mostly unnoticeable (until somebody comes up beside you and tells you) with major damage to camper...

We do miss the coach and probably will have another one after retirement (4 more years) and thinking of full timing...
These points are why I went with a class A. I decided against a pusher because of the maintenance cost. This has a V10 in it. And gets about 10 mpg. I bought a TPMS system to keep tabs on the tires. They have those for tow behinds as well if you weren't aware. And being a tad shorter at 32'. Is a little easier to maneuver.
It really depends on her comfort level. Not so much size and length. Ann said right away hell no! But there are plenty of women driving big rigs on the road. There is a learning curve with these.

A pull behind is the best way for us at this time, don't want to tow a truck so we have something to go some where, have thought about selling the house and buy a truck and a 5th wheel but then you are considered homeless to any financial and government folks. There are a lot of folks that live 24/7 and love to travel the country and we would love to do that. come back to Tn every so often as mamaw has to see the grand kids lol

Reactions: ConrodM
A pull behind is the best way for us at this time, don't want to tow a truck so we have something to go some where, have thought about selling the house and buy a truck and a 5th wheel but then you are considered homeless to any financial and government folks. There are a lot of folks that live 24/7 and love to travel the country and we would love to do that. come back to Tn every so often as mamaw has to see the grand kids lol
I was thinking that as well when I started looking at tow behinds. But just liked the class A's better. Also, a lot of car rental agency's will deliver a rental to your location at no charge. Considering the MPGs you'll get with towing a car behind you. Renting a car for a couple days isn't a bad alternative.

These points are why I went with a class A. I decided against a pusher because of the maintenance cost. This has a V10 in it. And gets about 10 mpg. I bought a TPMS system to keep tabs on the tires. They have those for tow behinds as well if you weren't aware. And being a tad shorter at 32'. Is a little easier to maneuver.

It really depends on her comfort level. Not so much size and length. Ann said right away hell no! But there are plenty of women driving big rigs on the road. There is a learning curve with these.
Sad to say, I stress when it’s my wife’s turn to drive on trips

Sad to say, I stress when it’s my wife’s turn to drive on trips
My wife will not drive on trips. It is out of her comfort zone. Always has been. I appreciate the honesty verses her trying something she is not comfortable with. I'll only drive up to 8 hours a day before stopping. Ann is a genius with finding places to stay within my boundaries. Though, now. It'll be researching for campgrounds instead of hotels. Same smell. And finding RV friendly routes. Which the new GPS I bought will take care of that.

Todays rain called for staying inside and playing old school style!

P9190012[1].JPG

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky