• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time making jerky... qview start to finish

Joined Feb 22, 2013
Wife upgraded my smoker as an early Christmas present. She got me a MES 30, and I love it.

Couple days back got an itch for jerky, and decided to try my hand.

Hit my butcher and got a 5lb cut of top round

Cured and Marinated for just over 24 hours, nothing fancy, just some basic cure #1, some pepper, hoping the smoke gives it the flavor I want...

Saw someone on here hang it off the rack with paper clips (yes I boiled the clips, who knows who touched them before me)

1.5 hours at 125 degrees with no smoke to get it tender

2.5 hours at 145 degrees alternating between hickory, and apple chips

3 hours at 165 degrees

Could have stood to cut some of the pieces a bit smaller, but all in all I give my self a solid B.

Let me know what you think, or what I should do differently

Thanks,

Tyler

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
It does look kind of thick but nice color. You would have to send some for me to give a detailed review of your work...
...JJ

smokingohiobutcher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 21, 2009
Add some garlic and a little honey to the mix...for a nice savory flavor. Oh ....And one more thing!

MAKE ALOT MORE!!!!!

Nice job!

SOB

joefrommi

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 9, 2013
Looks good going to try it this weekend weather permitting. ...does racking the meat work ok ?...... (first try on jerky)

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
Looks good going to try it this weekend weather permitting. ...does racking the meat work ok ?...... (first try on jerky)
Yes racking the jerky works fine, I actually like it better you can see the rack marks on it for presentational looks

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Hey Tyler

If you needa professional opinion  on the product, just pm me and I'll send you my address LOL  Looks great

Gary

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.