First time Krakow / more Owens Red Barn bologna with brisket trim

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Been researching Krakowska for awhile now . One of my favorite sandwich meats . After seeing P PolishDeli thread on the sausage he made , and some insight from him and chef jimmyj chef jimmyj I decided to give it a try . Also made some Owens Red Barn from leftover brisket trim I had . Everything ground and mixed for the Red Barn , and into the fridge .
Waiting to stuff because I need to let the meat cubes for the Krakow cure .
So this is post cure ready to stuff for the Krakow . I used all pork butt , for the grind and the cubes . 50 / 50 just to make it easy .
Cured 48 hours , loosely following one of the Marianski formula's .
20191212_095524.jpg
Krakow stuffed .
20191212_100533.jpg
Everything stuffed . Hangin out to warm up before going into the smoker .
The third stick is seasoned with AC Leggs 103 hot Italian ( cure added )
20191212_103555.jpg
Mes 30 with the Auber shines for this . Ran a 6 " tube full of hickory , and waited .
I set the Auber up so it dries , ramps up to smoke , then ramps up to cook .
I light and add the tube when it ramps to 140 other wise I wait for an alarm .
I water bathed these then hung in the garage over night .

Ready to slice this morning . Just enough color .
20191213_075954.jpg
Here's the krakow .
I'm almost speechless . This is fantastic .
Taste , texture and looks . As good as any I've had . I used 2 1/2 " casings , but I have some 80mm
water proof I might try next time and use the SV .
20191213_080301.jpg 20191213_080312.jpg
So I had a pound of clean trim from the brisket I just did . Was going to grind for burgers , but decided to use it
for Owens Red Barn Bologna . Added 1 1/2 lbs. of pork butt.
Can't go wrong with the Red Barn . All the mixes I buy from Owens come out fantastic .
This came out great also . Next time I'll use more beef .
20191213_080740.jpg 20191213_080745.jpg

Had some butt left , so I injected a 3 1/2 pound hunk for ham , then ground the trim from that .
I used AC Leggs hot Italian , added cure , nfdm and some water . Mixed heavy by hand . Going for an " Italian bologna "
I found the per pound weight on the web site , then realized to late that I didn't add enough . Cure is right .
If the salt was good it would taste like bologna with a bit of heat . Texture is good , taste is there but light . Lack of salt is the biggest oops .
I bet it'll fry up nice .
20191213_081116.jpg
I guess I forgot to mention , I also did 5 pounds of Sausage maker Hot breakfast sausage .
No pics of that . We go thru it fast around here . Freeze in bulk .
Had around 16 lbs. of pork and the beef trim . So got a nice yield of different things .
Thanks for lookin .

Starting to think you are actually a professional and pretending to be a hobbiest. :emoji_laughing:
Serious killer looking stuff! You know what, I going to take a break on snack sticks and try some larger casings. Can you smoke WP casing? I cannot retain the casing stuff. I have researched a few times and not sticking. I can SV ANY sausage if I vac seal or bag right?

Getting ready to order some Owens. Does the Red Barn have a big coriander? "bologna" flavor?

Reactions: chopsaw
It all looks great. I am doing some Red Barn this weekend.
Thanks Adam . How much beef you use for the red barn ?
I'm thinking more is better .
They all look great but the Krakowska really got my attention. Nice work Chop
Dan , thanks . Mine too . I cut that in half this morning and just stood there and stared at it .
The taste is spot on too .
Looks great Chop!
xray , thank you bud .

chopsaw, beautiful sausages! Both of them. Very, very nice and LIKE! Last time (about 10 month ago) when I was making Krakowska using Marianski recipe I incorporated slightly bigger shanks of meat then I did two previous times.... I made them about 2" - 2,5" in size and liked it better. Your Krakowska looks just perfect.

That Krakow looks top notch! Amazing! I have never made any sausages with a show meat or cubes of meat in them. Ive always wanted to try a sausage like that. Looks great BIG LIKE!

Starting to think you are actually a professional and pretending to be a hobbiest.
This place has that effect on you . Thanks .
No smoke on the high barrier . I zip tie them , then right in the water , no bag .
I have used the cellulose right in the water too , but they will leach a bit . They do take smoke .
Anything else , bag it up and go by the chart for time and temp .
beautiful sausages!
Push , thanks . I'm really happy with it . I made the chunks about the same size as the biggest tube I had .
Ive always wanted to try a sausage like that. Looks great
Thank you . It looks hard , but cure all the parts separate then mix together and stuff .
The cubes were very sticky after the cure , that's key . Binds good with the paste .

pc farmer pc farmer That's the ticket , beef and venison . That's gonna be awesome .

I passed on one to many this year .

This red barn bologna do you use it as a sandwich bologna or cheese and crackers? Baloney and bread has stood between me and starvation several times in my years. Read alot of great reviews regarding the red barn bologna. Looking for that samich slice, just wondering does this fit for a sandwich meat.

Really nice. Looks like the stuff we got at the Polish Deli...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky