1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time jerky and need some help

Discussion in 'Beef' started by billy brown, Apr 14, 2019.

1. IMG_0069.JPG Well I love jerky but have never done my own. Yesterday I bought a 4 lb eye of round from my local butcher then sliced and marinaded according to all the great advice here. So far so good. Smoked on my WSM for 8 hrs anywhere from 150 -180 depending on the wind (crazy today in Southern Ontario.. sleet, etc.). I rotated the jerky halfway through from upper grill to lower and mixed them around. Cherry chunks in the smoker.
    Tasted great, more tender than store bought, maybe a little too smokey. My question is..... wow I did not end up with much finished product. I always complained about the cost of jerky but now I don't know. The chunk of beef cost me $21.00 CDN and you can see how much jerky I ended up with. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

2. Nole4L

Nole4L Fire Starter

Not a jerky expert but I believe you lose about 1/2 the weight when you make jerky. So your 4 pound eye of round should yield around 2 pounds of jerky. That would put you at around $10.50CND/pound or $7.80US/pound. That's pretty reasonable in my experience especially when you consider how much better homemade jerky usually is.

3. I make a lot of jerky and the eye of round is what I use. Nole4L is correct in the fact that your 4 lb eye should yield you 2 lb of jerky. I use a pellet smoker and a dehydrator when making jerky. Depending on my marinade I normally smoke in the pellet grill for 2 or 3 hours then finish it in the dehydrator. The smoke flavor is not overbearing and allows you to be able to taste the jerky flavor.

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

BB, I agree with the above posts about weight loss of one half of your starting weight. Your jerky looks delicious!

5. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

I made a couple batches saturday. My eye of round batch had amost exactly a 50% yield.

My cost ended up being 8.00 USD per lb of jerky plus the cost of the seasoning.

6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes sir the replies are correct the moist lost is high.

Warren

7. Thanks for the advice, fellas. I weighed the jerky this morning and it was 1.25 lbs. I'm thinking that no way did I start with 4 lb of meat, should have checked that before. Going to drop off a taste to my butcher today and will check with him on the size.

8. muncie21

muncie21 Newbie

I use london broil for my jerky, almost no fat to speak of. It goes on sale about once a month here for $2.99-$3.50/lb.

9. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

As this shows:

Percentage of body that is water

About 60% of your body weight is water. I think the percentage is pretty much the same for animals. Since jerky is made by removing the water, you'd therefore expect at least a two-to-one reduction in weight, and probably at least that much in volume. I've made lots of jerky, and in my experience, the finished product is perhaps a third of the volume of the original meat.

As for smoke, I usually only smoke for 2-3 hours and then finish in the convection oven at 140 degrees. I do it this way to avoid getting too much smoke. I made jerky for decades before I ever got a smoker, and IMHO smoke is not essential for getting great jerky, although it certainly is a nice addition.

When I started adding the smoking step, I still continued to do the last 4-5 hours in the convection oven because I have a lot more control over the finished dryness, given the more precisely controlled conditions in the oven, and the fact that the convection oven blows air over the meat.

I posted my recipe and technique a year ago. Here's a link to that post:

Jerky Recipe

10. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

Depends on how long you dry it as well. I did 2 hours smoke 3.5 hours oven and got 50% finish weight. The other batch I did 2 hours smoke and 5.5 hours oven and it was closer to 40% finish weight.