First Time Hocks in Pops Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinadam

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Appleton,WI
Good evening, saw these things for a couple dollars in the bin at the grocery store and I was like dang those hocks we just had out to eat at the German restaurant were really good so I bought them. I researched a lot online how to do them and most said to brine them for 5 days and I was like let's do pops brine for it. I plan to smoke them slow and then get little crackling of the skin.
In A Food Grade Bucket Going Into My Beer Fridge For 5 Days.
looks like a lot of meat on 3 of the 4 so I can't wait!

Cya Saturday for the Wisconsin/LSU game from Lambeau Field!

Today I took a look at them and since we are heading to the cottage tomorrow once I'm done working and I want to smoke them up there I decided I needed to get a cleanse on them. This is my first time attempting a cure on any meat so if not waiting 5 full days harms it then I'm out 3 dollars... I plan to smoke them at 180 wits no additional smoke for first hour. Then I'm going to add my amazen and extra smoke with little bump up to 225. My goal temp I have read is around 152-156 so looking for little extra insight if that's correct.

Here are some pictures tonight
One hock out of the brine up close... not sure what cured meat appears like out of the brine but looks OK.
back in the pail with fresh water on them and into the fridge again.
oops that was the grouper I smoked/grilled for dinner.

Cya again once I get them done.

They look fine. As far as done temps? I would think you would want to cook them to probe tender. But I have never made these.

tries to make cracklins but didn't turn out good. Very tough like shoe leather.

Looks was very good. I did it to 157 and took off. Let them cool some before trying to eat then and had very nice ham flavor. Little tough cutting, would boil in water next time or try another way. I'm going to boil them and make bean soup with them in it which should taste good. We will see tomorrow.

Verdict - need to try to find new way and try again. 3 bucks worth a shot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky