First Time For Fish - Steelhead

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikesr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Sterling Hts., Michigan
Today was my first attempt at smoking fish. I had some Steelhead fillets in the freezer so I thawed them yesterday and smoked them today using Dutch's sauce. My wife is watching her salt intake so I made it kind of bland. Since it is freshwater (Lake Erie) fish I decided to take it up to approx. 160-165 degrees.

BTW, this sauce is similar to the Ginger/Teriyaki sauce that I posted in the sauce/marinade section.

Nice Fish...

One of the downfalls of living in Kansas is we don't have any good BIG fish like that...

Just Catfish, Carp, Large Mouth Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Walleye.
icon9.gif

I think we are the only state that doesn't have Trout...
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif

Smoke some walleye. i have fishing buddies that keep the larger walleyes for the smoker. They keep some smallmouth bass also. Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River are infested with an overabundance of smallies. My friend Alex makes a smoked smallmouth pate' that is excellent.

There is only a couple places that have the walleye, Lake Perry and Tuttle Creek that I know of...

Hello Mike, tell the boys at LSCWA that Capt dan of the Battle creek steelheaders says' HOWDY" !

Good to have ya here.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky