First time cooking ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dobson156

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Hi,

I cooked Baby back ribs a couple days ago, thought I'd post how it went.

I firstly used the rub described in the "Project Smoke" book by S Raichlen; listed under Oak-smoked cherry-glazed baby back ribs. It's a paprika heavy rub with some other spices, sugar and salt - but notably no Black pepper.

I also took the opportunity to test out which of the sausages my butcher sells are the best smoked; out of the ones he had in I selected the Cumberland, the "Traditional" (thin seasoned with cracked black pepper - I think), and the English Sausage (which I think i just slightly seasons); he had some other that either didn't appeal to me or didn't look like they'd smoke so well. And I threw on a chicken on there to make the best use of my time - I just spatchcocked it and used the left over pork rub but threw in a bit black pepper.

I smoked with Oak; it's British/European oat rather than post oak - but I am not sure there is a lot in it having eaten quite of Texas BBQ - it certainly smells similar when burning.

I tried to keep the offset at around 140C, which is about 280F.

jgYbCoV.jpg

This was at about half way. The book recommended glazing it with cherry, but I am not a huge fan of cherry flavours so I used a reduced apple juice & apple cider vinegar solution every 30-45mins or so.

LWFAOd4.jpg

Just finishing off the chicken, trying to get the breast up to about 64C while getting the legs to around 74C. We'd made some beans but there had been an accident with the application of the chilli and they were super spicy - so we put the bowl in the smoker to see what'd happen.

The results. It was dark by the time we'd got it to where we want it, which wasn't a problem as it was unseasonably warm that night.

UrGwEmM.jpg

The ribs had a strong bark on them, perhaps almost too much, I think next time I'll try and keep the temperature a little lower and might do a bit better at applying the apple solution. The rub was really good, the only thing I'd change is either using more salt or use a finer ground salt (I think what happened is I used good quality sea salt with large crystals which didn't really stick in the same way that the other ground spices did.

Sticking the beans in the smoker turned out to be a massive success, for some reason unknown to me, it sees as though the spiciness was neutralised by the smoke.

The BBQ sauce (see in the steel pan); is my own recipe and it made from Kecap Manis which is a fantastic ingredient if you've never used it. Its kind of like (british) Black Treacle mixed with soy sauce.

Out of the sausages; they were all good, but the "Traditional" was definitely the best; the Cumberland too the middle spot and the English was the least good (but still great!). The Cumberland was the thickest so didn't take on as much of the smoke; the traditional was narrow so took on lots of smoke but also had the black pepper which is a winning combo. The English was thin but didn't have the seasoning.

The chicken turned out really well too, it's the first time I'd used a rub with sugar in on Chicken, but this really knocked the chicken up a level.

Very nice feast there mate. I am big fan of cowboy beans too. Your homemade Bbq sauce sounds damn good, gonna try it, cheers for sharing it.

My family are used to stuff running late until perfect now, good excuse to bring out the smoked cheese . :emoji_wink:

i use SmokinAl SmokinAl method for my ribs, might be worth trying that someday, its a great method.

Looks like a nice piece of work to me, Like! To make the rub stick on the meat better I like to brush on some yellow mustard for ribs and butts, a little olive oil on beef. RAY

@ Jabiru Jabiru

The BBQ sauce is really quite simple.

I just sauté half a fine diced onion with as much better as you think your health can tolerate. Once translucent sauté a couple of table spoons of tomato puree/concentrate and cook it out.

I then add chilli powder, garlic granules and paprika to taste and let them cook out.

The dump in the Kecap Manis. Again just keep adding this until it taste right. Could be a fair amount - like 1/2 a cup to the cup.

Can thin it out with a bit of water/stock/drippings/whatever.

The longer you can cook it for the better really. But you can whip something together in 10mins or have it bubbling away ontop of the smoker for 8hrs (just make sure you don't burn or totally dehydrate it).

It goes the best probably with the chicken - but that's probably because it needs it the most rather than the sauce being chicken specific.

I also suspect that because its sticky and got butter in you could also use it as a pretty awesome glaze.

Reactions: Jabiru
Looks like a nice piece of work to me, Like! To make the rub stick on the meat better I like to brush on some yellow mustard for ribs and butts, a little olive oil on beef. RAY

Thanks!

I didn't use mustard but I did give it a rub with olive oil first. I think the salt granules were just too big. Its not like none stuck - just the ratio to the other seasonings wasn't maintained.

Looks like you dove in big time with that smoke, I'm glad you are picking it up there across the pond! :)

The "bark" on your ribs might actually be the sugar cooking/burning up. I believe that in Texas we traditionally don't use sugar in our bbq seasoning/rubs. I had never seen anyone use it anywhere in the state unless they came from out of state.

One of the issues with sugar is that it will burn up on ya and I think that may have happened to you.
Give your ribs and chicken another shot but omit the sugar. Also if you put sugar sauces and such too early on the meat the same thing can happen.

Ribs don't really care what temp you cook them at. They are done when they get tender much like Pork shoulder/but and Beef Brisket (packer, flat, or point).

Keep at it and I look forward to seeing what else you smoke and how well it comes out! :)

The "bark" on your ribs might actually be the sugar cooking/burning up. I believe that in Texas we traditionally don't use sugar in our bbq seasoning/rubs. I had never seen anyone use it anywhere in the state unless they came from out of state.

Yeah I certainly think that might have been a part of it. LIke I said, I cook the rub from a book. You can see at 2hrs in it looked fine. Then over the next 1.5hrs it blackened. I could probably have removed them after only 3hrs rather than 3.30.

I've smoked a brisket before (which took MUCH longer) and just did a 50-50 salt and pepper rub.

Ribs don't really care what temp you cook them at.

That's good to know, I could also cook them at lower heat next time.

Yeah I certainly think that might have been a part of it. LIke I said, I cook the rub from a book. You can see at 2hrs in it looked fine. Then over the next 1.5hrs it blackened. I could probably have removed them after only 3hrs rather than 3.30.

I've smoked a brisket before (which took MUCH longer) and just did a 50-50 salt and pepper rub.

That's good to know, I could also cook them at lower heat next time.
Pork ribs, pork butt/shoulder, and brisket are all cuts of meat that are done when they are tender.
If you get a meat thermometer you check pork butt/shoulder and briskets around 93C Internal Temp (IT) to see if they are tender. Every 0.3 C check again for tenderness. You do that by stabbing the meat all over with a toothpic of a kabob skewer and when it goes in with no resistance all over its tender therefore done.

Pork ribs are generally tender round 90-91C IT and ready to eat.

Knowing those Internal Temps will allow you to check for tenderness and pull the meat when it is tender and done. Again sugar too early and at too high of a heat burns and gets extra crusty.

Let us know how your next attempts go :)

Thanks for the method of your BBQ sauce D dobson156 . Definitely on my list to make, I never used to like BBQ sauce but my tastes have changed and cant get enough of it.

I will try it on Chicken wings and also some ribs just to see.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky