First Time Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ClevelandSmokeDawg

Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
smoke shack.jpg
Hello all,

For father's day this year my wife's gift to me is permission to build my first smoker. I have been sitting on these plans I saw in "Wood Magazine" a couple years back and it looked like something that would fit my needs - smaller, portable, etc.

The plans call for a wooden 2x4 frame with cement board on the inside, plywood on the outside, and 1.5" foam board sandwiched in between for insulation.

Any thoughts or recommendations on modifications? Specifically, any recommendations on the type of burner to use in the bottom. The one pictured is a Chard I think. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

Reactions: JC in GB
That's a fun looking smoker! I don't think the type burner you use would make that big of difference. That said, if it were me, I would omit the burner and a "burn box" off to the side to generate the smoke, much like an offset smoker. It would have to be metal of course and you would have to play around with the draft vent, to get it to work properly. But that's just me. I'm sure others smarter than me will offer other great tips and ideas.

Reactions: ClevelandSmokeDawg
Inner and outer walls..... insulated..... The burner below will fit your need nicely...

Propane burner

I would get a low pressure regulator with needle valve for adjusting the heat from the outside of the smoker... A flame out detector would sure add a safety feature to the smoker...

That smoker design will need air inlets top and bottom for air flow.. put the air inlets in the side walls... use forced air floor registers for the inlet/outlet gratings...
FLOOR VENTS.jpg

I'm preparing to build my first. I had planned on building it a wood frame similar to this, but on top of cinder block foundation. I like this and the portability of it. I may rethink my design slightly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky