First time Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OrcSlayer

Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
Fair Oaks, CA
2 1/2 lb boston butt on the Davy Crockett with Apple pellets. Finished with Trader Joe's KC Style BBQ sauce. It was fantastic!

Attachments

• IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 76
where do you get a 2.5 pound butt ? looks great though !
I had the butcher cut a smaller one in half. Not the best practice I suppose, but I really wanted to do one and I was only feeding my wife and daughter, next time I will definitely do a regular sized one.

Looks good. Now you've got me wanting some Q but I just had something else for lunch. I should have viewed your post before I ate. I hate it when that happens.

Your PP looks great!
You might as well get a big butt, 8 lbs. or so. Cause they freeze & reheat really well.
Especially if you have a vacuum machine.
Al

n00b here...

So I was talking to a guy... and he said the Boston Butt is an excellent meat for someone to smoke if you've got a little experience, but want to do something really good. He said it's very forgiving. Is that true? I'm thinking his fawning words about this cut really got me to thinking about it, and I see one in my near future. Or would y'all recommend something else?

Very forgiving and an excellent first choice for a longer smoke. They can be done low-n-slow, hot-n-fast, or somewhere in between. They freeze well and make great leftovers.

Chris

Reactions: Locomotive Breath
n00b here...

So I was talking to a guy... and he said the Boston Butt is an excellent meat for someone to smoke if you've got a little experience, but want to do something really good. He said it's very forgiving. Is that true? I'm thinking his fawning words about this cut really got me to thinking about it, and I see one in my near future. Or would y'all recommend something else?

LB he was telling you the truth about butts. They're the most forgiving cut of meat out there--practically fool proof. If you plan to make pulled pork, just make sure the final internal temp is about 205. The butt should probe like soft butter and the bone will slide out easy and clean.
Gary

Reactions: Locomotive Breath
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky