1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time bone in pork chops

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by NamVetJoe, Apr 14, 2018.

1. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Smoke Blower

IMG_1561.JPG Ok, boys and girls, I don't want to dry the six chops I will be smoking tomorrow. They are all 1 1/4 " thick. Do I marinate them? Inject them or just smoke as is?

2. Dry rub is what I use for pork. Keeping it simple salt pepper garlic with cumin.
    Cheers

NamVetJoe likes this.
  3. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Fire Starter

I used a southern style pork dry rub on my boneless chops and smoke them with apple wood and cooked then at about 175 for 3 1/2 hours and we just needed a fork to cut them and they were no where dry at all.

NamVetJoe likes this.
  4. bdskelly

bdskelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

We love those. I always grill them though b

NamVetJoe likes this.
  5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I'd put them in Pop's brine over night .

NamVetJoe likes this.
  6. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Smoke Blower

Went with just the rub, 225 degrees. Only took 1 hr and 15 min. I took them out at 140 Degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes while they were not dry at all I would have preferred a little less cooked. All in all, I give myself an 80 for the first time

IMG_1562.JPG

7. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks good Joe .

8. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your meal looks great Joe!
    I think you may be right on taking them out a little sooner.
    We take ours out at about 138, and after a short rest on the counter the IT comes up to 145.
    They are a little pink, but very juicy & tender.
    As a side note, my wife just asked me about a half hour ago, "How about we get some bone in pork chops for the smoker". All though, this time I think I may smoke them to an IT of 128, then into the SV at 131 for about 5 hours.
    Haven't tried that yet, but I think they will turn out real good. If you haven't got on the SV bandwagon yet, it opens up a whole new method of cooking, and there is a learning curve, but it really compliments smoked food.
    But as I said above your meal looks delicious!
    Al

9. Good job looks really good!

10. myownidaho

myownidaho Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks like a good start! I usually do a brine for about six hours and then a quick reverse sear after smoking.

chopsaw likes this.
  11. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

IMG_20180416_004946.png

12. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Fire Starter

Looks delicious Joe, I to new at this and I'm sure we are going to have great fun with smoking and than some failures as well, but I have to say they look down right tasty !!

NamVetJoe likes this.