First SV!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CTXSmokeLover

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
Central TX
Got a sous vide a couple months back and finally got to try it out over the weekend with a tomahawk and a smaller steak. I am sold! Absolutely delicious and easy. Seared them off at the end with a torch. One of the best steaks I've ever had. The smaller steak turned out perfect as well.

Is everything this wonderful with SV? Would like to try more practical everyday things like chicken, pork, etc. so I can use it more often. I'm assuming it is all just as delicious but not sure on how to go about it. Will be browsing some old threads here to get some ideas. I'm hooked! Cheers

IMG_9650.jpg
IMG_9651.jpg
IMG_9654.jpg
IMG_9659.jpg
IMG_9661.jpg
IMG_9667.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9646.jpg
    IMG_9646.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 29
I'm at work now so I don't have access to my Favorite's .. There is a site that's all about SV'n... It was posted here on SMF.. so somebody else might chime in and post it before I get home tonight ...

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
That steak is pure money. Very well done. You might want to let the good folks know what temp you had the SV set at in case somebody wants to replicate the cook...which I'm betting people will :emoji_wink:

I'm pretty sure there is an SV sub forum here that you might find all sorts of good info in. Not positive but I think I remember a while back somebody mentioning that one had been created.

As noted by a lot of folks in your introductory thread, you're gonna fit right in around here cooking like that :emoji_laughing: Great to see you posting stuff already.

Robert

I'll make sure to check that out, thanks Clifish
Cliff has you headed the right direction. find any post from Bearcarver Bearcarver and in his sig line is a link to his entire index. Be prepared to see some amazing looking stuff!! Bear has been here a long time and created a legacy with his cooks.

Robert

That steak is pure money. Very well done. You might want to let the good folks know what temp you had the SV set at in case somebody wants to replicate the cook...which I'm betting people will :emoji_wink:

I'm pretty sure there is an SV sub forum here that you might find all sorts of good info in. Not positive but I think I remember a while back somebody mentioning that one had been created.

As noted by a lot of folks in your introductory thread, you're gonna fit right in around here cooking like that :emoji_laughing: Great to see you posting stuff already.

Robert
Thanks again Robert. You've been super helpful/friendly on here from the get go for me. Appreciate the feedback.

Sorry, meant to include that info in the earlier post. I did the tomahawk at 135 for 3 hours. The smaller steak for 2. For seasoning I just used a thick coating of pepper/granulated garlic and added some fresh rosemary. I did dry brine the tomahawk the night before as well which I believe really helps get some saltiness through on the thicker cuts. I added some garlic/rosemary infused butter during and after the sear. It was a hit. Thanks again!

Thanks again Robert. You've been super helpful/friendly on here from the get go for me. Appreciate the feedback.
I truly appreciate the accolades but truth be told, there are a LOT of really nice people here. With you though, since you're so close, it's easy to roll out the red carpet and extend invites. Now you just gotta decide if you want to accept them :emoji_laughing: Sausage making is super easy once you've done it a time or two. I also have 5 freezers full of meat, a bunch of cookers on the patio, a pool, and an abundance of margaritas and beer on hand. In addition, I have an amazing wife. We could have a really good time if you ever want to drop by :emoji_wink: Don't know what your family situation is but we are definitely family friendly around here.

Robert

I truly appreciate the accolades but truth be told, there are a LOT of really nice people here. With you though, since you're so close, it's easy to roll out the red carpet and extend invites. Now you just gotta decide if you want to accept them :emoji_laughing: Sausage making is super easy once you've done it a time or two. I also have 5 freezers full of meat, a bunch of cookers on the patio, a pool, and an abundance of margaritas and beer on hand. In addition, I have an amazing wife. We could have a really good time if you ever want to drop by :emoji_wink: Don't know what your family situation is but we are definitely family friendly around here.

Robert
Well that sounds pretty wonderful, I will definitely take you up on that some time. I've got two young boys and a wife and we stay pretty busy hauling them around but we might just have to pop over to Lago for a beer/margarita and some meat at some point for sure 👍

SV has completely ruined me for getting steak as a restaurant. I'd rather go to Central Market and drop $$$ on a great cut of meat. It will still come out cheaper than a steakhouse, and be as good or better.

SV has completely ruined me for getting steak as a restaurant. I'd rather go to Central Market and drop $$$ on a great cut of meat. It will still come out cheaper than a steakhouse, and be as good or better.
I agree and I've only done it once. This was a $50 prime tomahawk from my local grocery store and it fed 4 people. I can't even imagine what that would have cost at a fancy restaurant.

Reactions: LoydB
I agree and I've only done it once. This was a $50 prime tomahawk from my local grocery store and it fed 4 people. I can't even imagine what that would have cost at a fancy restaurant.
Just the steak 2 weeks ago at a good steakhouse cost me $68 and it only fed me. By the time we were done it was $200 PP with sides and drinks. I agree we can all make better steaks at home with the right cut.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky