First successful pulled pork on wsm ( and first overnighted)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jay C

Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
Well almost. Got to 180 degrees and it began to rain after 15 hours (8 lb bone in shoulder). Finished in the oven to 200 degrees. Maybe would have been a good idea to do a boneless instead. A lot of bone in there. The overnight part was a little tricky especially with filling the water pan at night.

Sounds good, we've all been there when ya have to finish somethin up in the oven. Post up a pic or two if ya get a chance. We like pics!

Also, just a suggestion for the water pan.. Fill it with some sand. Put & keep a couple layers of hd foil & clean up is easy. It works great on my WSM. The water pan is a heat sink, sand works great so ya don't have to keep filling the water pan. Let's ya get a bit more shut eye on the overnighters too!

Reactions: Jay C
Sounds good, we've all been there when ya have to finish somethin up in the oven. Post up a pic or two if ya get a chance. We like pics!

Also, just a suggestion for the water pan.. Fill it with some sand. Put & keep a couple layers of hd foil & clean up is easy. It works great on my WSM. The water pan is a heat sink, sand works great so ya don't have to keep filling the water pan. Let's ya get a bit more shut eye on the overnighters too!

Attachments

• 14DEB385-83AE-4DA0-BF28-C6C523ECE9F8.jpeg
    14DEB385-83AE-4DA0-BF28-C6C523ECE9F8.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Thanks. What kind of charcoal do you use in your WSM? I was surprised that I had to add about 3 chimneys worth of Kingsford to maintain temperature.

Yea, I bailed on Kingsford a while ago after they reformulated... for the exact reason you just stated. I use Royal Oak now, been very happy with it!

I'll second the reason to switch away from Kingsford. I just smoked two 8.6 lb butts in my WSM using Embers, which is the Home Depot brand of RO Ridge briquettes (it is the "seconds" line of RO Ridge, but just as good). Held steady at 224F for 14.5 hours, then I stirred the coals, opened all the vents, and bumped the chamber temp up to 300F for another 2 hours to finish the smoke. Could easily have smoked for another 2-4 hours when I closed down the vents.

However the leftovers are missing something. Am I missing an important step when I don’t add a finishing sauce?

However the leftovers are missing something. Am I missing an important step when I don’t add a finishing sauce?

I'll smoke an 8 to 10 lb butt for just me and my wife, so we ALWAYS have leftovers. A finishing sauce is basically an additional flavor profile that puts some zing in the leftovers. If I'm eating it on bread of any kind, I almost always use a vinegar-based finishing sauce, or maybe a dab of BBQ sauce, sometimes both. With tortillas and PP alone, I'll switch to a Mexican tortilla sauce, usually green, or a green salsa. But my favorite is flour tortillas, fire-roasted tomatoes/peppers/onions and leftover PP. It needs no sauce at all.

Get creative......and you won't get bored eating the leftovers.

Reactions: chopsaw and Jay C
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky