First stab at bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatboyz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Moundsville, WV
Well, I'm trying this out. Bacon is my favorite vegetable and favorite meat so I have wanted to try this for a long time.

I have 2 slabs of PB, one is 2lb the other 1.5lb. I removed the skin and purchased a cure at the local meat market where I got the PB. I hope I used the cure correctly, because it looked like so little for the meat. I trusted my wife's calculations because she is much better at math than I.

So they are wrapped and in the fridge as we start the 7 day flip period.

Here are starter photos. I have the rub on the third photo.

This is 1 ounce of cure, and the label says 1 ounce per 25 lbs of meat.

Last edited:
Bacon it good. Could you show a pic of the cure or label?

Just womdering what cure it is ( my guess is #1 ) and how you came up with the calculation.

My wife took the 1 ounce per 25 lbs (based on the label) and then she measured out 1/4 an 1/8 teaspoon for the 2 lb slab and then 1/4 teaspoon for the 1.5lb.

It is supposed to be #1 cure, based on the shop owner.

I wish I had seen pops liquid brine, I would have done that one. Seems much easier.

Last edited:
I just read pops brine post, and I am thinking that I should rinse my PB and try his brine. I will need to get a food safe container tomorrow....

You can if your not sure about the cure you are using. Pops is good.

That is cure #1 he sold you.... The pink color and the amounts are right on....
The belly will be fine with the amount of cure used...
Continue on for 7-10 days with the cure you used.. It will make amazing bacon...
I make my bacon the way you are making yours....

Dave

Continue on for 7-10 days with the cure you used.. It will make amazing bacon...

Dave
Hmmm - It may well be a version of Cure #1, but from experience I would not trust something that does not have the ingredients clearly detailed on the label. 

Last edited:

Dave
Dave is right. His dry rub method is what I use and i can attest that it is a home run.

I have 2 slabs of PB, one is 2lb the other 1.5lb. I removed the skin and purchased a cure at the local meat market where I got the PB.
This is 1 ounce of cure, and the label says 1 ounce per 25 lbs of meat.

Wade, you could be right.... but...... what that OP's statement tells me is the owner of the market divided up a larger bag of cure #1 to sell to patrons.... There's no way in heck you can buy a 1 oz. package of cure #1 unless it is divided on premise... and the proper ratios are listed on the packet.. 1 oz. per 25#'s.... and the color is pink.... and the markets logo is on the bag......
I ain't Sherlock but this seems fairly evident...

It's obvious I would trust it....... Dave

Last edited:
fatboys, morning.... If I may suggest you purchase a small electronic scale for measuring spices and cure for future curing endeavors....
One possibly like this one....

This one is 100 grams maximum.... great for spices and cures.....
Most curing you will be doing uses from 0.9 grams to 1.5 grams per pound of meat...

Last edited:
Wow, thanks gentlemen for all of the responses.

I hade a restless night, (is that normal? haha) but when I woke up this morning and there is already a fair amount of liquid in the bags, so I decided to leave it alone and trust the math.

I'm really excited about this process, I have wanted to try this for awhile and finally decided to go for it.

I currently have a digital scale, but I am considering another one so I will check that one out.

I forgot to mention this but the ingredients are on the back of the package and they are: "Salt, Sodium Nitrite, Propylene Glycol, FD&C Red #40, Less than 2% Tricalcium Phosphate.

The meat store has really good quality meat and they have been in business for a long long time so I kinda trust they know what they are doing.

So long story short, I'm going for it.

How do I know how long to cure the meat? I've read anywhere from 7 - 10 days. I'm on day 7 now, so I'm not sure if I need to go all the way to 10...hmmmm

If you are using the dry rub where the cure ingredients have been weighed for the specific weight of meat that you are curing then, within reason, you cannot over cure. Unless it is very thick then you will usually find that it is cured within 10 days. I usually leave mine foe 14 days bit I usually cure pork loin. I leave the belly in for 14 fays too - but that is because I usually produce them at the same time.

Looking at your photo, 10 days will be more than sufficient.

Wade, you could be right.... but...... what that OP's statement tells me is the owner of the market divided up a larger bag of cure #1 to sell to patrons.... There's no way in heck you can buy a 1 oz. package of cure #1 unless it is divided on premise... and the proper ratios are listed on the packet.. 1 oz. per 25#'s.... and the color is pink.... and the markets logo is on the bag......

Having been badly bitten on 3 occasions by buying bags that have not been fully labeled from vendors of unknown providence, I am now just naturally skeptical. The fact that it is just called "Cure Modern House" and has no indication of either the contents or component concentrations anywhere on the label I certainly would not use it. Being pink and having a recommended usage rate that is similar to Cure #1 does not confirm that it is in fact cure #1. Maybe us Brits are just naturally less trusting than you Americans.

Wow, thanks gentlemen for all of the responses.

I forgot to mention this but the ingredients are on the back of the package and they are: "Salt, Sodium Nitrite, Propylene Glycol, FD&C Red #40, Less than 2% Tricalcium Phosphate.

The meat store has really good quality meat and they have been in business for a long long time so I kinda trust they know what they are doing.

So long story short, I'm going for it.

Having been badly bitten on 3 occasions by buying bags that have not been fully labeled from vendors of unknown providence, I am now just naturally skeptical. The fact that it is just called "Cure Modern House" and has no indication of either the contents or component concentrations anywhere on the label I certainly would not use it. Being pink and having a recommended usage rate that is similar to Cure #1 does not confirm that it is in fact cure #1. Maybe us Brits are just naturally less trusting than you Americans.

Wade, morning..... From looking at your posts, and the OP's posts, It looks as if you have a problem with me........

..Dave..

Wade, morning..... From looking at your posts, and the OP's posts, It looks as if you have a problem with me........

..Dave..
Hi Dave - ??? Not at all - I love you to bits 
57.gif
. I was looking at the label photo and not the subsequent post. My oversight. Still no %ages though so it is still a case of use-at-your-own-risk. I would not - but others might.

Wade

Thanks Wade, I was leaning towards 10 days to be sure. It is firming up nicely. My plan is to smoke it on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the advice, and I love the Brits! Spent a lot of time with Brit Sailors through my Naval Career. Love you guys! I missing drinking tea with the sailors when we were in port together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky