First Spatched Smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alds

Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Hi all!

Finally took the plunge into the smoking world. Starting small and simple I picked up a dyno glo compact bullet and did a first ever smoke today!
Read lots of post here and other websites to learn the basics so the last cpl days I fired it up a couple times to burn off anything and season it, then decided to try some chicken.
Did a spatchcock with 2 roughly 4 pound chickens. Before spatching I used the popular brine recipe found here often with a couple tweaks. Did about 1 1/2 gallons water, cup of salt, 2x 1/3 cup brown sugar, tbsp soy sauce, tbsp sesame oil, cpl squirts of sriracha, pinch of fine ground thyme and oregano. Soaked for about 14 hrs.
After spatching it was rubbed with one I've been using for a while grilling. 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, oregano and half tsp black pepper. Doubled it to have enough. Light coating of canola oil before rub.
Set everything up outside, got things lit up using hardwood lumps and added a cpl small handfuls of lightly soaked hickory chips. Got some good smoke to begin but couldn't seem to get temp up past 250. Need to seal a couple leak areas next time for sure. Tried playing with the vents, adding some more lumps after lit in the chimney but just never got it past 250. Easily got 300 first 2 times, so thinking it may have been the water bowl being used this time.
Never got the breast temp up past 150 so after nearly 4 hrs I threw it on the grill at high heat for a few mins ( temp probe in breast rose to 180 as I wasn't paying attention to well. Ended up covering both sides with plain old bullseye original and let it rest for about 30 mins.
Very long story made short, it actually turned out awesome and the whole family loved it, it really tastes terrific. I think next time I will try regular briquettes instead of lump and see what happens. Sorry for the long post but happy with the first attempt and learned tons reading everyone's post here!

Attachments

• 20200626_204441.jpg
    20200626_204441.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200626_171851.jpg
    20200626_171851.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 42
welcome to the site, I wouldn't soak the chips, it doesn't help anything and slows down the cooking process, what are you measuring cooking temps with? a lot of the gauges on smokers aren't accurate, a inkbird 2+ probe unit can be had with a good discount most days and you can keep track of cooking temps and meat temps. I would use chunks as they will last longer in your style of smoker.

Looks like a successful first cook to me! Main thing is everyone liked it. More cooks will give you the experience of how your smoker likes to run. And asking questions...alot of knowledge here and others with the same smoker can help ya out.

Ryan

As I am still building up proper supplies in was just going by the thermometer on the lid ( yes I know it's off ) A proper one is on the list! I will also upgrade my meat therm. down the road but it's worked well so far for everything else. I started out with soaked chips but later added dry ones. My son asked if we could have left over chicken for supper tonight so that's a good sign. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

Hi all!

Finally took the plunge into the smoking world. Starting small and simple I picked up a dyno glo compact bullet and did a first ever smoke today!
Read lots of post here and other websites to learn the basics so the last cpl days I fired it up a couple times to burn off anything and season it, then decided to try some chicken.
Did a spatchcock with 2 roughly 4 pound chickens. Before spatching I used the popular brine recipe found here often with a couple tweaks. Did about 1 1/2 gallons water, cup of salt, 2x 1/3 cup brown sugar, tbsp soy sauce, tbsp sesame oil, cpl squirts of sriracha, pinch of fine ground thyme and oregano. Soaked for about 14 hrs.
After spatching it was rubbed with one I've been using for a while grilling. 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, oregano and half tsp black pepper. Doubled it to have enough. Light coating of canola oil before rub.
Set everything up outside, got things lit up using hardwood lumps and added a cpl small handfuls of lightly soaked hickory chips. Got some good smoke to begin but couldn't seem to get temp up past 250. Need to seal a couple leak areas next time for sure. Tried playing with the vents, adding some more lumps after lit in the chimney but just never got it past 250. Easily got 300 first 2 times, so thinking it may have been the water bowl being used this time.
Never got the breast temp up past 150 so after nearly 4 hrs I threw it on the grill at high heat for a few mins ( temp probe in breast rose to 180 as I wasn't paying attention to well. Ended up covering both sides with plain old bullseye original and let it rest for about 30 mins.
Very long story made short, it actually turned out awesome and the whole family loved it, it really tastes terrific. I think next time I will try regular briquettes instead of lump and see what happens. Sorry for the long post but happy with the first attempt and learned tons reading everyone's post here!

Hi there and welcome!
The chicken looks good, keep at it!
Honestly it may have been a good thing u had to throw it on the grill. Chicken/Turkey skin turns out like leather if it isnt cooked at a temp of 325F or close to that (in my trials and experience). The hot grill will fix the skin and make the skin edible so u lucked out... its just a chicken quirk :)

Hi there and welcome!
The chicken looks good, keep at it!
Honestly it may have been a good thing u had to throw it on the grill. Chicken/Turkey skin turns out like leather if it isnt cooked at a temp of 325F or close to that (in my trials and experience). The hot grill will fix the skin and make the skin edible so u lucked out... its just a chicken quirk :)
Yes the grill worked great for the skin and issues aside it tasted terrific!

Reactions: tallbm
Alds Alds Nice work. Looks tasty. I have something similar and use a charcoal bed then put lump on really just for the smoke. Gets nice and hot.

Alds Alds Nice work. Looks tasty. I have something similar and use a charcoal bed then put lump on really just for the smoke. Gets nice and hot.
Thats what i am thinking of trying to get the heat up more, a little hesitant though as these cheap little things are known for burning the outside paint off when they get around 300+ but I’ll have to do it and deal with the outside looking crappy if it happens.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky