First spatchcock chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BoilerBBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 19, 2018
Madison, WI
I read about the spatchcock method on here and had to try it out. Results were great. Rubbed with SPOG and Rosemary and put a little garlic butter on the breast. Smoked at 260 with a little pecan. Had a spike to 300, which was fine because it was towards the end and made the skin a little crispy. I don’t have great temp control with an empty water pan in my WSM yet. Breast hit 165 in just under 2 hours. Turned out to be very tender and moist with perfect seasoning.

The Mrs. approved of the smoke and seasoning flavors, but said it was too moist. Go figure. She wants the next one cooked longer so it dries out.

Qview:
4BED3D4D-C1CC-480A-B150-E3B5D2120B91.jpeg
5E2C12FA-9274-43AF-BBA3-32206881C36C.jpeg

Isn't that fun to do? A spatchcock like that can be a fun thing to serve in the middle of a big table where people can pick at it.

Nice job . Too moist ? That's a new one . I started cutting the rib bones out when spatch a bird . Try that next time .

Looks mighty tasty from here. If ya make another one that’s to moist you can just send it my way for a second opinion!

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great! My Mrs is the same way. I just did some oven wings for her, 450 for an hour! She wants no "jiggly parts"
:rolleyes: Mike

Nice Job on that bird. Looks pretty tasty to me. Open up those bottom vents towards the end of the cook to raise your temps and crisp up the skin.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky