First Spatchcock Attempt...Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgates237

Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Good morning everyone,

I'm giving a 12 lb spatchcocked turkey a go today. It's been brining since yesterday afternoon. The smoking tool of choice is a weber 18" smokey mountain and was I planning to smoke at 265 unless someone suggests I consider another temp profile.

Question for the masses. When smoking the turkey should I have it on something like a cookie sheet or in an aluminum pan or just let the juices fall into the catch bowl? I'm not sure if smoking the bird on a sheet/plan will influence the smoke/cooking and subsequently the taste but if I don't I'm then not sure how much of the juices i'll be able to capture, that is if there's even a need to do so.

Also, any guesses at how long it will take? I'm think about 4 hrs or so. I do have the DIGIQ DX3 BBQ temp controller so it stays spot on (best Christmas present ever!)

Thanks in advance!

I like the flesh to see the charcoal, let the juice drip onto the fire.
You might consider turning it over for a while to make sure the other side sees the charcoal too.
Time? Good question...your temp gauge may or may not sample at the hottest or coolest spot in the cooker so I would go two hours and start checking internal temps.

Reactions: JLeonard
I recommend the bird directly on the grates. I would avoid having it over the coals, direct heat is not what you want for a smoke. Putting it over the coals is called grilling.
At 265, you are probably looking at 4 hours. If you amp it up to 350 you can do it in less than 2... but since you wet brined it you should be fine.
If you want a catch pan, by all means put one down there. If you're making gravy, it is a great addition.
Smoke Chicken on Weber.jpeg

Reactions: jgates237
No need for the pan, just let it sit right on the grate. I probably would think about cooking with a little higher temp- maybe in the 300s. Probably would get better skin if that’s important to you.

You could also take out the water pan and let the drippings hit the coals directly if you don’t care about making a gravy from the drippings. That is killer awesome in my opinion for chicken.

Excellent, and thanks for the timely feedback! I'll go directly on the grate with a catch pan on the lower level plus, I'll be sure to take photos. This forum is great!

I can't speak for smoking a spatchcock bird, but I've done plenty in the oven, including this Thanksgiving. I do use a half sheet pan and build a "rack" out of long carrots and celery stalks to keep the bird above the juices. I also add quite a few seasonings (thyme, rosemary, parsley, poultry seasoning, sage, etc.) on top of said "rack" but under the bird. Keeps it moist and you're basically making a flavored gravy stock during the cook (smoke).
I had a pan under a 9lb comercial turkey roast (all breast meat) in the smoker also on Thanksgiving. Did not seem impair any smoke flavor to the meat and added an awesome smoke flavor to the gravy!
(I went crazy and also deep fried one that day).

Good luck!

Reactions: jgates237
Guys,

Mission complete! Turned out much better than I could have hoped for. Being cold and breezy in these parts today I was struggling to maintain my 275 temp so I ended up wrapping an old wool blanket around my WSM 18". Smoking jacket is coming soon! Only took 3 hrs for a cockspatched 12lb'r.

Thanks for all the advice! This site is like a brotherhood.
uncooked.jpg
looks perfect to me.jpg
dinner.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky