• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Smoker Mods

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2018
I went to the hardware store and picked up some supplies and with the help of amazon, hopefully I now have a well-sealed smoker. I have been using a cheap offset smoker for the past 6 months since I started smoking and decided to try to add some things to even-off the temperature at the grates and keep the heat in better. My biggest struggle has been with maintaining a level temperature which I assume is due to the bad insulation.
I have added some sealant strips around the contact points of the lids on both the smoker box and the fire box. I have also filed the inside of the smoking chamber and added a couple of bricks to it. I made some baffles out of 26 gauge sheet metal as well to help control the entry of the heat and smoke into the chamber. I also added a dryer vent hose to the chimney to bring the exit point to grate-level on the opposite side of the fire box.
Finally I added some sealant between the two chambers and replaced the melted factory grate in the fire box with some expanded metal. This was a temporary solution and I will need to make some improvements here. I will add some pictures to the post too.

Let me know if you have any advice on ways I can improve this in the future and more modifications I can make. Trying to stretch this cheap offset smoker's capabilities without breaking the bank.
20181207_185855.jpg

20181207_185850.jpg

20181207_185847.jpg

20181207_185858.jpg

20181207_185906.jpg

Attachments

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Looks pretty good. Allot more then I did with mine. I only made a couple of changes on mine. I did the dryer hose mod as you have done, but instead of building baffles I just flipped the ash catcher in the CC upside down. I wanted to make a charcoal basket for the fire chamber, but things got in the way and I never got around to it.

Chris

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 7, 2018
Two hours into my pork but smoke and the cooking chamber seems to be holding a steady temperature much better than before. Glad to see the mods are paying off for me.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.