First Smoker Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nkpal624

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2018
Boston, MA
I went to the hardware store and picked up some supplies and with the help of amazon, hopefully I now have a well-sealed smoker. I have been using a cheap offset smoker for the past 6 months since I started smoking and decided to try to add some things to even-off the temperature at the grates and keep the heat in better. My biggest struggle has been with maintaining a level temperature which I assume is due to the bad insulation.
I have added some sealant strips around the contact points of the lids on both the smoker box and the fire box. I have also filed the inside of the smoking chamber and added a couple of bricks to it. I made some baffles out of 26 gauge sheet metal as well to help control the entry of the heat and smoke into the chamber. I also added a dryer vent hose to the chimney to bring the exit point to grate-level on the opposite side of the fire box.
Finally I added some sealant between the two chambers and replaced the melted factory grate in the fire box with some expanded metal. This was a temporary solution and I will need to make some improvements here. I will add some pictures to the post too.

Let me know if you have any advice on ways I can improve this in the future and more modifications I can make. Trying to stretch this cheap offset smoker's capabilities without breaking the bank.
20181207_185855.jpg

20181207_185850.jpg

20181207_185847.jpg

20181207_185858.jpg

20181207_185906.jpg

Attachments

• 20181207_185847.jpg
    20181207_185847.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 8
Looks pretty good. Allot more then I did with mine. I only made a couple of changes on mine. I did the dryer hose mod as you have done, but instead of building baffles I just flipped the ash catcher in the CC upside down. I wanted to make a charcoal basket for the fire chamber, but things got in the way and I never got around to it.

Chris

Two hours into my pork but smoke and the cooking chamber seems to be holding a steady temperature much better than before. Glad to see the mods are paying off for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky