first smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natedawg29

Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Ephrata, WA
So my plan is to use two air compressor tanks (obviously different sizes).  and my biggest question is, can i just weld a piece of pipe to the top of the fire box and extend it horizontally through the cook chamber?  i was wondering if this pipe (with holes drilled through it) would be easier to fab and install rather than a deflector plate etc.  seems like it would hold heat better and also make the temp more even throughout the chamber.  just a thought from a rookie

There is nothing wrong with that.  As long as the pipe diameter is big enough to get the correct draw.  I assume your talking about welding the pipe to the end of the firebox and not thru the inside? I have seen this done a few times.  Keep your holes in the pipe along the front and back side to spread out the smoke.  If you put to many down the middle, you will get too much smoke and heat right in the middle of the smoker and not over the whole smoker.  Also, if the pipe is getting welded in, put something over the holes so grease doesn't drip into the pipe.  That stuff adds up quick and you don't want a thick layer of grease and crud building up inside that pipe.  Or make it removeable and just clean it out every once in a while.

How big are your tanks?  What size pipe are you thinking of using in the cooking chamber?

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Nate to SMF.  You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

well my plan is to find right around a 22" diameter tank, about 3 or 4 feet long. i have one available to me that's about 5 1/2 feet long. so i will probably cut a foot or two off and use that section for the fire box. but its sounding more and more to me that a pipe is not the way to go. i didn't really take drippings into consideration. how important is a damper between the fire box and cooking chamber? what is usually used/designed? i've only ever used a cheapo weber upright smoker so this is all new to me...

so i just decided to the heck with messin around and i built my smoker...i have a few problems with it so far but nothing i can't fix....a few pics of the build and the finished product!

bd4752e9_Nathansiphone302.jpg
3957a4c0_Nathansiphone303.jpg
a8ddffce_Nathansiphone299.jpg
00b6d468_Nathansiphone300.jpg
620177c7_Nathansiphone306.jpg
4b045443_Nathansiphone304.jpg
75a5ec6a_Nathansiphone307.jpg

First, let me welcome you to the SMF. Your build looks great. How well is it working? Would like to see some more pics of the insides of the cook chamber and firebox. And definately some qview of the meat. 

Nice Build,

Is it a reverse flow?

Have you tried, firing it up yet? I was a bit curious because of the size inlet to the smoke chamber.

Cant wait to see some Q off of it.

yeah its a reverse flow.  i've fired it a few times now and because of the design of the elbow between the firebox and cook chamber, not enough heat is able to be transferred.  it seems to be almost perfect as long as all i want to do is cold smoke but thats not what i would like to do.  part of my rebuild/redesign is going to involve making a better transfer between the rounded top of the fb and the elbow. along with sloping the bottom of the cook chamber to the fb to allow full volume to travel between the two.  other than that it seems to do really well.  both times ive used it, it has held fairly steady at 200 degrees with many hours of trial and error. so hopefully it will help it build some heat and flow some smoke with the rebuilds.

I want to tread lightly here.

The elbow on your stack may hinder draw as well.

What I like about your design is the firebox not being cut in resulting in less radiant heat.

I think you will be ok if you double the size of the firebox to smoke chamber inlet and slightly taper it upward under your RF Plate.

Hopefully that will bring you up in temps

Hope you don't mind my opinion.

b1327eed_firebox.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky