First Smoked Rib Roast

Discussion in 'Beef' started by shlongstar, Dec 26, 2009.

1. I've done oven-roasted rib roasts for Xmas in the past, but obviously had to smoke one this year after just buying my first smoker last month (GOSM).

I used mesquite, and this 12lb badboy turned out a nice medium-rare, but I was actually aiming for medium (140F) for my wife's family who prefers it that way.

I pulled at about 130F hoping for some carry over heat, but after 20+ mins of resting it only went up by 1 degree! I threw it in the oven at 450 for another few mins for a better sear, and also to get the temp up a little bit - Final temp of 136F and then served soon after.

I'll know better in the future that the low and slow method doesn't allow for much carry-over heat I guess, and I'll also definitely buy a better piece of meat.

Bought from Albertson's Grocery Store - Choice, but I find the Costco Choice is WAY better, and I had the Costco PRIME the day before at my family's Xmas party and the difference is obviously totally noticeable.

Anyways, still a popular piece of meat at the Xmas party though.

Check out the QView!

2. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice.[​IMG]

3. nickelmore

nickelmore Smoking Fanatic

That looks great, and I am super hungry.

4. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Very nice. [​IMG]

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man oh Man that looks ssooo good and I didn't get one this year either. Oh well they stay up nights making thoses things too. I really like yours and you didnt take it off till 130 it looks rally good and alittle on the medium side too.[​IMG]have to go out to you for your first "smoked" rib and what a job you did too.

6. thanks guys!

just curious, anybody else have issues with barely any carryover heat? only 1 degree was VERY surprising to me.

7. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That is Awesome... Congratulations...[​IMG]

8. 3montes

3montes Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Did you wrap in foil for resting? I pull mine at about 132. Wrap in foil and then towels and put in a insulated cooler much like what you would do with butt roasts for pulled pork. Once I pull them at 132 I don't monitor the temp any longer so I am not sure how much temp I am gaining after I pull them off. But I have never been disappointed with any of the prime rib I have done.
    Yours looks fantastic by the way. Are those rosemary needles I see on your roasts? Nice touch [​IMG]

9. langemr

langemr Fire Starter

That's something else. Looks delicious and I might have to try it someday. Good stuff and looks good

10. Thanks again guys. I did wrap in foil for resting and placed in a cooler with towels, but still not much budge in temp...

The herbs are thyme. I debated rosemary needles, but decided against it. I was planning on just salt and pepper, but thought the thyme would make it look prettier for Xmas :)

11. bigtrain74

bigtrain74 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

WOW! I almost regret buying that leg of lamb I got for this weekend now after seeing this thread!

That looks great!