1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First smoked chuck roast

Discussion in 'Beef' started by smokinbarrles, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:21 AM.

1. First time smoking a chucky on my MES40 (or ever). This is an Angus chuck roast that was over priced, but this store is closer to my house so I said "what the heck". Was gonna go just salt and pepper but last minute added some garlic and onion powder. Starting weight about 2.6 lbs. Hoping for some tender pulled beef.

Attached Files:

Otis54 likes this.
  2. smokininidaho

smokininidaho Meat Mopper

You're going to love it. Did one last weekend. Right on with your rub. Take it to 205 and wrap in foil for 45 minutes and you'll have some nice sammies!

3. hawtsauc3

hawtsauc3 Smoke Blower

[​IMG]
    I’m doing the same thing except on my WSM. Salt pepper and season salt

4. hawtsauc3

hawtsauc3 Smoke Blower

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I’m doing the same thing except on my WSM. Salt pepper and season salt

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:21 AM
    smokinbarrles likes this.
  5. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

That's about the size we get them around here too.
    They make awesome Pulled Beef!
    You're in for a Treat !!
    Be back to see the finish.

Bear

jcam222 likes this.
  6. EdP

EdP Smoke Blower

I really like pulled chuck. My best smoke ever was a big roast with the neighbors this past 4th of July. 4lbs+ and it was like jello when I took it off.

Right before I wrapped it

[​IMG]

After resting an hour

[​IMG]

jcam222, smokinbarrles and Otis54 like this.
  7. Bearcarver

8. Sitting at 156 after only a couple hours. Been running it pretty hot. Around 275

9. Otis54

Otis54 Newbie

I did a round a 4 pound chuck roast about a month ago. I used the same spices and salt. It pulled apart with ease.

Attached Files:

10. Stalled at 156. Don't wanna wrap gonna ride it out.

11. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Man that looks fantastic. I love pulled beef.

12. Pulled at 208. Wrapped in foil and stuck on oven on warm till dinner time.

Attached Files:

Bearcarver and gmc2003 like this.
  13. It got very black as most things do in my smoker. Maybe I should start wrapping?

14. Bearcarver

I always wrap things that take a long time, like Chucks, Butts, Briskets, etc.
    I like Bark, but I don't particularly care for a real Thick, Hard, Black Bark.

Bear

Otis54 likes this.
  15. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Yeah the barks a little to heavy for me also, but I'm a betting the meat still tastes real good.

Point for sure
    Chris

16. Whipping up some of my mock charo beans now since I spent the day doing honey do's

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 5:36 PM
  17. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I was surprised to see it that black with no sugar in the rub especially. How was the outer most texture?

18. Haven't tested yet wiil keep y'all posted

19. Turned out pretty good, maybe a tad dry for my taste but over all a success. The bark was salty and peppery which was a delicious taste maybe a little to thick though. After it was chopped up it made an excellent sammich. With slaw and a side of beans it was a great dinner.

Attached Files:

SmokinAl, Otis54 and jcam222 like this.