• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First smoked chuck roast

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 15, 2019
First time smoking a chucky on my MES40 (or ever). This is an Angus chuck roast that was over priced, but this store is closer to my house so I said "what the heck". Was gonna go just salt and pepper but last minute added some garlic and onion powder. Starting weight about 2.6 lbs. Hoping for some tender pulled beef.

Attachments

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 11, 2011
You're going to love it. Did one last weekend. Right on with your rub. Take it to 205 and wrap in foil for 45 minutes and you'll have some nice sammies!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
That's about the size we get them around here too.
They make awesome Pulled Beef!
You're in for a Treat !!
Be back to see the finish.

Bear

EdP

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 1, 2019
I really like pulled chuck. My best smoke ever was a big roast with the neighbors this past 4th of July. 4lbs+ and it was like jello when I took it off.

Right before I wrapped it

After resting an hour

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Man that looks fantastic. I love pulled beef.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
It got very black as most things do in my smoker. Maybe I should start wrapping?

I always wrap things that take a long time, like Chucks, Butts, Briskets, etc.
I like Bark, but I don't particularly care for a real Thick, Hard, Black Bark.

Bear

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Yeah the barks a little to heavy for me also, but I'm a betting the meat still tastes real good.

Point for sure
Chris

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 15, 2019
Whipping up some of my mock charo beans now since I spent the day doing honey do's

Last edited:

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
It got very black as most things do in my smoker. Maybe I should start wrapping?
I was surprised to see it that black with no sugar in the rub especially. How was the outer most texture?

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 15, 2019
Turned out pretty good, maybe a tad dry for my taste but over all a success. The bark was salty and peppery which was a delicious taste maybe a little to thick though. After it was chopped up it made an excellent sammich. With slaw and a side of beans it was a great dinner.

Attachments

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.