First Smoked Chicken Quarters 18.5 wsm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dunstablegrizzly

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 25, 2019
Dunstable, MA
Tried my first chicken quarters today and I must say it was better than I thought. I'm usually a chicken breast guy but I have seen some really good looking posts here with quarters and thighs. Rubbed with my own poultry rub I typically use for turkey and set in the fridge for about an hour or so.

Used half weber chimney of lit coals and placed one fist size chunk of pecan wood as I didn't want to over smoke the chicken from what I read is quite easy to do with chicken. Used empty water pan with a cheap walmart pizza pan on top of it so I can help stop any dripping from burning. That seemed to work well. Now ran the wsm with all vents completely open but I noticed it wouldn't go past 301 which is fine for me although I was trying to get to 325. Placed the chicken quarters in and the temp dropped to 273 to 280ish. It stayed there until quarters were pulled at 170 and tent with foil. I then finished off some burgers and hot dogs for the family.

Chicken was very good. I will definitely be making these again! Now I have some chicken thighs in the freezer to try out next weekend. I will most likely make those on my kettle as I want to run 325-350 to crisp up the skin.

Left wsm to burn off the little bit of charcoal left and it's back at 300. I quess it cools down as the meat draws btu away from the pit. By the way outside temp is at 51 degrees farenheit.

Attachments

• 20200404_144912.jpg
    20200404_144912.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200404_144944.jpg
    20200404_144944.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200404_163346.jpg
    20200404_163346.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200404_163354.jpg
    20200404_163354.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200404-161412_BBQ Go.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-161412_BBQ Go.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 15
Looks real good to me. We smoke a lot of quarters, thighs & drums. You might start eating them more than breasts.
Looks good! Might be your first but I bet it's not your last.

Yes, I will definitely eat more of these. They were so delicious and most importantly moist. I never liked them before but I never tried them smoked. Smoking gives it a whole new flavor profile which I enjoyed. I can't wait to try the thighs soon. Will keep you posted for sure.

Thanks for the compliments and likes! Much appreciated.

Looks Mighty Tasty, Grizz!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I quit buying Quarters!! The last 2 times I got them, they were all busted up on the inside of the Thighs. I just buy Drums & Thighs now!

Bear

Reactions: Dunstablegrizzly
Looks Mighty Tasty, Grizz!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I quit buying Quarters!! The last 2 times I got them, they were all busted up on the inside of the Thighs. I just buy Drums & Thighs now!

Bear

Thanks Bear,

So since this is my first time with quarters I was wondering if these have the thighs as well? It seemed like such little meat after the drum. Still tasty though! I have some thighs in the freezer for next weekend cook.

Thanks Bear,

So since this is my first time with quarters I was wondering if these have the thighs as well? It seemed like such little meat after the drum. Still tasty though! I have some thighs in the freezer for next weekend cook.

Yup---Your Quarters are both the Thighs & Drums in one piece.
When we get them around here, for some reason they're busted up & full of little bone fragments on the back sides of the Thighs. Buying them individually doesn't have that.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky