First Smoke!! Pulled Pork with Qviews

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lookwow

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Menasha WI
So Sunday we had a couple come over to watch the Packer game and i figured it would be a good chance to try out the smoker I got for Christmas. So i got a 5lb pork butt and put yellow mustard on it. then rubbed it with something i just made up. Mainly sugar and then the normal stuff every on here puts in there forums. I was thinking it was going to take around 7 hours but ended up taking about 9. Here are the picks.

After coming out of the fridge Sunday morning

b048af1f_2.jpg

This is Sunday morning after the plastic wrap came off

5fcd0388_1.jpg

The poor ECB warning up. It was about 10F outside and didnt get above 20F all day so i used a welding blanket to keep it warm. It actually worked like a dream. I tried some test runs a few days ago and couldn't get it above 200 in this type of weather. With this i was able to get it to about 260 if i wanted but for the entire smoke i run it around 225-235.

2a516e3b_3.jpg

This was at 3 hours. Put the probe in and was at about 130 so looking good. Also you can see hear i left the fat on. I should of taken most of it off. Ohh well. Live and learn.

df37c2af_4.jpg

I foiled it at 160. Didnt take a picture of that. Sorry. This picture is when it was coming off. About 9 hours later. IT was at 204. I wrapped it in towls and let it stand for about and hour. This was after that.

2c0a0a45_5.jpg

And of course the money shot. I think i can do better but this was still the best pulled pork ive ever had. Very moist and tender. The bone pulled right out with not a single piece of meat on it. The wife and other coupled agreed that it was really good. Thanks to everyone for the posts and info that they post on this site that helped make this work out.

c4e28297_6.jpg

Congrats on your first PP,
icon14.gif
They will get better as you go

You can experiment with different rubs, sauces, etc..

Just curious what you used for fuel, and smoke?

Not sure whats up with the stupid Kodac. Ill have to mess around to find out why they are all blue like that.

Its an electric ECB and i used Hickery wood chunks.

icon_cool.gif

Ok now when I started to look at the Q-view I thought that ET was knocking on your door. Then it hit me thats the smoker. Being here in sunny and warm Florida we have never seen a smoker all covered up like that. I'll tell you what thou I could use it tonight for it's suppose to get into the 20's tonight and we are in the middle of this wole Global WARMING thingie my A_ _ . Now your pulled pork looks good to me. Next time you need to do a bigger one for that one will last only so long.

icon_cool.gif

Ok now when I started to look at the Q-view I thought that ET was knocking on your door. Then it hit me thats the smoker. Being here in sunny and warm Florida we have never seen a smoker all covered up like that. I'll tell you what thou I could use it tonight for it's suppose to get into the 20's tonight and we are in the middle of this wole Global WARMING thingie my A_ _ . Now your pulled pork looks good to me. Next time you need to do a bigger one for that one will last only so long.

Lol it does look like ET!

Thanks for the pics!!!

At very first glance I thought your wife was taking a pic of you sitting out in the cold :)

Nice looking PP 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 What I like to do is score the fat cap on the top there and it allows the smoke to penetrate more as well as the rub. I also think that more cooks off that way as well. This wont be your last!

icon_cool.gif

Tell me about it. The few leftover we had where gone at lunch on monday.

Good job on a hard day as far as conditions go.  Nothing goes with a win better than a belly full of beer and BBQ!  Now... on to the playoffs.  Also, I guess a welding blanket won't burn eh?

Looks good.  A bit of advice.  Maybe it was the way the pics turned out, but it looks like you didn't put much rub on.  Go ahead and coat that sucker till you can't hardly see any mustard.  It will help create a very nice bark for ya.

There'll be a setting somewhere in your menu on the camera for "White Balance" or WB.  Read your manual about setting this for various lighting scenarios.  It'll make a huge difference. But for now and for these types of shots, set it to automatic.

Later,

Brian

Ya i didnt put enough rub on at all. Making a brisket for the super bowl. Ill load that one up for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky