First smoke on WSM 22.5 / First Beer Can Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burn-it

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
San Diego CA
WSM Set-Up:  Kingsford Comp / Left over Cowboy Brand  Mesquite Lump. / Mesquite wood chunks / smoked from 6:45 am to 10:50am

Chicken Prep:  2 whole chickens / Same dry rub I use on my ribs (without the sugar)   / New Castle Brown Ale / Pulled when breast of largest chicken hit 160 / Chicken was juicy but it took some effort to pull it apart at the joints.

Sorry for the limited QView.  It's been a busy day.  Tomorrow I will smoke some ribs.

83bfab4a_004.jpg

About 30 minutes before I pulled from the smoker.

be585817_005.jpg

Looks good. If you want the chicken super juicy and near fall off the bone tender take it to 180° in the thigh.... just keep the temps under 250° in the smoker so you don't dry it out.

Burn-It, We WSM smokers think a like, we were smokin' beer butt chicken at the same time, except in time zones and different parts of the country, go figure. I think they may be cousin's!!!! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

They look very good!!!

Burn-It, We WSM smokers think a like, we were smokin' beer butt chicken at the same time, except in time zones and different parts of the country, go figure. I think they may be cousin's!!!! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

They look very good!!!
Seriously, BBCs have been on my mind all week!

Excellent choice of beer, too. When I first tried out the beer butt, we used the crappy stuff because it was cheap, but that all ended when my buddies and I got a taste of what brown ale can do to a bird!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky