First smoke on the WSM 22"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TXBBQinAZ

Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Chandler, AZ
Evening all,

First time posting in quite some time and decided tonight would be the night to post my first "food picture ( I take a lot from what I smoke, but have never posted)," from what I had smoked for our Sunday dinner. For the past seven years I have smoked on my MasterBuilt Electric Smoker and since late last year had been contemplating on what to purchase next as I wanted to take that next step. I have enjoyed using my electric smoker as it has taught me how to properly season and time management. I had asked for advice on stick burners and with the cost being so high to have it shipped to Arizona, I started to also look at the Weber Smokey Mountain. I decided to purchase the WSM 22" because I felt it was the perfect combination of learning how to manage the fire while allowing me to still use wood and large enough for a big bird during Thanksgiving. I decided to go with a 7lb pork shoulder for my first smoke due to a number of reasons, mainly this is a difficult piece of meat to mess up. I used mustard as the binder then salt, pepper, and light garlic seasoning. I used charcoal and four pieces of pecan wood chunks. I was able to maintain my WSM's temperature around 275 degrees throughout the smoke. Once the internal temp hit 170 degrees I wrapped in aluminum foil and placed back on the smoker. The total cook time was roughly 7 hours and I pulled the shoulder once it hit 205 and was able to stick the probe through easily in multiple spots. I ended up letting it rest for an hour and half and tossed on some asparagus along with corn to smoke as well. Shredded very easily which I was happy about because for some reason pork has given me a problem in the past. My wife and son (just turned one!) enjoyed it! Here are a couple of pictures from my smoke.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 28
  • pic 2-smoke.jpg
    pic 2-smoke.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Pic 3 rest.jpg
    Pic 3 rest.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Pic 4 shredded.jpg
    Pic 4 shredded.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Congrats on the new smoker. I’ve heard good reviews about hyphen. That’s what I’m picking up in the spring

Da
Evening all,

First time posting in quite some time and decided tonight would be the night to post my first "food picture ( I take a lot from what I smoke, but have never posted)," from what I had smoked for our Sunday dinner. For the past seven years I have smoked on my MasterBuilt Electric Smoker and since late last year had been contemplating on what to purchase next as I wanted to take that next step. I have enjoyed using my electric smoker as it has taught me how to properly season and time management. I had asked for advice on stick burners and with the cost being so high to have it shipped to Arizona, I started to also look at the Weber Smokey Mountain. I decided to purchase the WSM 22" because I felt it was the perfect combination of learning how to manage the fire while allowing me to still use wood and large enough for a big bird during Thanksgiving. I decided to go with a 7lb pork shoulder for my first smoke due to a number of reasons, mainly this is a difficult piece of meat to mess up. I used mustard as the binder then salt, pepper, and light garlic seasoning. I used charcoal and four pieces of pecan wood chunks. I was able to maintain my WSM's temperature around 275 degrees throughout the smoke. Once the internal temp hit 170 degrees I wrapped in aluminum foil and placed back on the smoker. The total cook time was roughly 7 hours and I pulled the shoulder once it hit 205 and was able to stick the probe through easily in multiple spots. I ended up letting it rest for an hour and half and tossed on some asparagus along with corn to smoke as well. Shredded very easily which I was happy about because for some reason pork has given me a problem in the past. My wife and son (just turned one!) enjoyed it! Here are a couple of pictures from my smoke.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.
Dang, I just drooled! Good job

It looks good congrats on the new WSM

Welcome to SMF!
There are plenty of WSM users on here if you need assistance with your new rig, but it looks like your doing just fine!
Al

Thank you very much everyone!

With all the positive comments on SMF about the WSM and then reading more about it online, I felt it was a great rig to purchase. It has not let me down after one cook. Very excited to get my next cook in.

The one area I will need to dive a little more into is how much charcoal to use in the WSM and then in the chimney starter. I filled the bottom of the barrel up to around 3/4's and filled my chimney starter to the top. I felt it had a little too much smoke compared to when I did my first initial burn to try and dial everything in.

If anyone has recommendations on how much for the standard 8 to 12 hour smoke that would be great!

-Stephen

The WSM is a excellent choice. As for charcoal usage I always fill the ring up and start with about 10 or so lit coals in the middle(minion method). When I'm done smoking whatever I'm cooking I'll close down the vents and snuff the fire out. I'll reuse the unburnt or semi-burnt coals in the next cook.

BTW you PP looks really good.
Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky