First smoke on the Lang

Discussion in 'Pork' started by raymo76, Oct 27, 2011.

1. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

Gonna finish smoke curing the Lang 36 in about a half hour or so and throw on some butts after. They're boneless about 5.5 lbs each, I couldn't find any bone ins locally. I wasn't planning on pulling an all nighter tonight so I'm a bit tired but I'll be a diligent student of the smoking art and stay awake. I'll upload some pics when I take them, but I'm not planning on spritzing or wrapping so I doubt there will be many pictures.

2. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

[​IMG]  with your [​IMG]

P.s.Mabe you can finde someone to chat with to keep you awake.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Raymo, you're only looking at 7 to 8hrs. on the smoker,so stick it out and leave the lid shut,Patience will give you much reward...[​IMG]. I just love Butts;and pork too[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean I REALLY like Butts........

have fun and.............................................

4. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

Ok cool! I wanted to wait till tomorrow but you know how it is, new smoker, already waited one day to season it, I couldn't hold out another. Then I figured, I have it going already to season it so I might as well slap something in there. [​IMG]  I'm just about 2 hours in. Get to try out my new thermoworks superfast thermometer too.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  5. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

4 hours down and here's the Q-View

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 hours in

[​IMG]

Credit to the Lang

[​IMG]

4 hours in

[​IMG]

6. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

I'm learning as I go about being a stick burner, pretty fun watching wood burn instead of lump charcoal if you ask me [​IMG]  Cooker seems to be nice and responsive to my damper adjustments.

7. berninga87

berninga87 Smoking Fanatic

Looking good! Like oldschool said I REALLY like butts...big butts! haha

8. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

6 hours in, internal temps reading at 165*F & 172*F, they smell delicious.

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great so far Ray!

10. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

Thanks Al, here's the latest picture I just took at the 6 hour mark. 

[​IMG]

11. smokinal

Boy they are starting to get that nice colored bark on them, looks awesome Ray!

12. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looking good!

Craig

13. raymo76

raymo76 Smoking Fanatic

Well a little after that picture I lost control of my fire, maybe I was just too tired, I fell asleep a few times, but for a little bit I was behind the 8 ball with temp control. I noticed out of no where I was sitting at 200* then I fired it back up but too far. Hit 250* got it to stabilize around 235* then finally back to 225*, I must have fell asleep again cause bam same thing back down to 200* when I checked. I kept going back and forth for a little while before around 7 7:30 ish I maintained 225* for the rest of the smoke. Pulled it at 200* internal temp, but I think the yo-yoing of the temp messed it up. One of the butts seems to be more moist than the other, half of each seems kind of dry like carnita's so I didn't pull that, thinking I'll make taquitos or burritos with it later.

I forgot to take any more photo's, going to try a sandwhich now and then probably sleep! AFter the cook I went straight into the yard work and now I'm beat! The cook went 10 hours and 15 mins, no foiling although I think next time I will try it. This was a night of firsts for me, first night cook first butt and first lang cook.

On a side note I was pleasantly surprised with the speed of the thermoworks superfast thermometer I bought. It's not lightening fast like the thermapen but it is superfast!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  14. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like it was a success. Congrats

15. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Post a view or three of your smoker.....think I can help you[​IMG]

16. i love my 2 lang 84s and a fill them all the time

17. Well congrats on your first smoke in your Lang.

From the last set of pics those butts looked really good.

I believe it was an overall sucess.

Happy Smokin'

Mike

18. rgacat

rgacat Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Congrats looks like you did a great smoke. Bet it tasted gooood.

19. smokinal

Sounds like a success on your first smoke on the Lang. I'm sure with a little practice you'll have it humming along at 225 forever.

20. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

looks great !!

nice looking smoker [​IMG]