First smoke on POS smoker and first PP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hunter791349

Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Grandview, Mo.
I bought this Master Forge electric vertical smoker and added a couple more temp gages to it at the racks.

9b686af6_POS_EVS.jpg

Seen Boston butt was at a good price at the store so said why not make it a double first time experience. A guy my wife works with makes and sells BBQ sauce and is getting ready to start selling rubs so he asked her if we would try it out and let him know what we thought of his rub. So anyway I rub the BB with this rub and rap it up and toss it in the fridge about 4pm. Got up this morning at 6am and got the smoker to temp. about 6:45 put the butt on.

This is it after i unwrapped it to put it on.

5be6f4f3_B4smoke.jpg

Had tough time keeping smoker temp above 200 most the time air out side was about 50 when I got up and got up to 60s before I took the meat out. 5 hours in the smoker checked IT at 180 so wrapped it in foil and finished in a 240 degree oven for 2.5 hours. Then left it in foil, wrapped with couple towels and set in cooler for 2 hours. I took it out and unwrapped it on a cookie sheet. This thing was nice and hot still and it started falling apart just from unwrapping it. OMG it was so moist and tender you could gum it if you had to. BEST pulled pork I ever had in my life for sure. Thanks for all the tips I've picked up on on this site that helped my success.

273f0ba5_Pulled.jpg

As far as the smoker, it was on full blast the hole time and the thermostat kicked off a few times so I guess that was its max temp about 220ish, not sure on the $7 Lowe's temp gages if they are any good or not but better then trying to go by the one that come on it in the top. Only had refill the water pan once in the 5 hour time. But at this present time I am a little disappointed in this smoker.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:
James,

I don't use Photobucket.

I just click on the little thing in the Reply box that says "insert Image" when you put your cursor on it, and then follow the directions. It works really great & even I can do it!!!!

Bear

Remove the [/img] tags and it should work

I bought this Master Forge electric vertical smoker and added a couple more temp gages to it at the racks.

9b686af6_POS_EVS.jpg

Seen Boston butt was at a good price at the store so said why not make it a double first time experience. A guy my wife works with makes and sells BBQ sauce and is getting ready to start selling rubs so he asked her if we would try it out and let him know what we thought of his rub. So anyway I rub the BB with this rub and rap it up and toss it in the fridge about 4pm. Got up this morning at 6am and got the smoker to temp. about 6:45 put the butt on.

This is it after i unwrapped it to put it on.

5be6f4f3_B4smoke.jpg

Had tough time keeping smoker temp above 200 most the time air out side was about 50 when I got up and got up to 60s before I took the meat out. 5 hours in the smoker checked IT at 180 so wrapped it in foil and finished in a 240 degree oven for 2.5 hours. Then left it in foil, wrapped with couple towels and set in cooler for 2 hours. I took it out and unwrapped it on a cookie sheet. This thing was nice and hot still and it started falling apart just from unwrapping it. OMG it was so moist and tender you could gum it if you had to. BEST pulled pork I ever had in my life for sure. Thanks for all the tips I've picked up on on this site that helped my success.

273f0ba5_Pulled.jpg

As far as the smoker, it was on full blast the hole time and the thermostat kicked off a few times so I guess that was its max temp about 220ish, not sure on the $7 Lowe's temp gages if they are any good or not but better then trying to go by the one that come on it in the top. Only had refill the water pan once in the 5 hour time. But at this present time I am a little disappointed in this smoker.

Thanks,

James
And the Q looks great !!!

Really looks good James, you can't get it much juicier than that! I bet it made great sammies. I'll take a little slaw on mine.

Thanks everyone, it maid awesome sammies. still got about half left over but it going fast, every time I see the pictures or get something out the frig and see that container it's in I get hungry lol. Still trying to figure out if I am going to keep the smoker.

James

Nice looking PP there Steve, bark looks great as well. I also have a pos ECB that I might make a planter outta but for now it's relegated to the garage as a back-up after getting a new Master Forge gasser. As far as those Lowes therm's you can check them in boiling water to see how accurate they are. I use a long probe one now myself to check chamber temps until I fork out for one of those new Mavericks with dual probes.

That looks good from where I'm looking. I agree with Willie you should check them therms right out of the box. You should be able to get above the 220 on that thing pos or not!

You might try it with the water pan empty,  I bet you would get the temps you wanted with no water

I might have to try that if I end up using it again, but hopefully I can get a UDS built really soon. Was over at a friend of mines last night and mention wanting to build one and he drags out a nice drum and says "you can have it" so guess it is on now lol.

I might have to try that if I end up using it again, but hopefully I can get a UDS built really soon. Was over at a friend of mines last night and mention wanting to build one and he drags out a nice drum and says "you can have it" so guess it is on now lol.
Not much of a welder, fabricator myself but I've been interested in UDS's for some time. I do still have a Bud keg in the garage from my beer making days so making a small one may be in the future someday. Here's a link with pics etc. that might help ya get started. http://www.randyq.addr.com/friends/mikey/magnum_force.htm  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky