First smoke in my MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tdglamann

Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Kearney, MO
I seasoned my new MES 40 last night and I am smoking my first rack of ribs this afternoon along with a turkey breast.  I can't believe how easy this is.  I had to work way too hard with my modified ECB.  Other than adding wood chips periodically, I haven't done anything.  It is keeping a very steady 225 degrees and rolling some great smelling hickory smoke. 

I made a rookie mistake a few weeks ago buying some cheap spare ribs in a 30lb box.  The first 2 racks on my ECB didn't go well at all.  Hopefully these will be better.  I have some jalapeno corn going on later to get some smoke flavor.  The turkey breast was brined overnight and I used Jeffs rub on both the turkey breast and ribs.

29764f09_317.jpg
1280636f_318.jpg

nice looking teaser pics there...I'm assuming we'll also get to see the finished shots. Sounds like your having fun with the MES...once you get an Amazing you won't even have to be adding additional chips....hope you have a great dinner

Electric smokers are great, I own one, but IMO don't compare to a wood or charcoal smoker, sorry. I bought my MES a week before Christmas and used it every weekend til the weather broke, and will use it again for certain smaller smokes. It's great, I love it, but using lump and wood splits for heat is where the real BBQ is. Of course, maybe I just like to play with fire.
cheers.gif

Looking good!

Craig

>>>but using lump and wood splits for heat is where the real BBQ is  <<<<<  Huh????

Sorry it's taken so long to get the post-smoke qview on here.  The ribs were better than on my ECB, but still pretty tough.  I'm positive it is the cheap meat.  I didn't take a post-smoke picture of them. 

The turkey on the other hand turned out great.  I am doing another turkey breast and a spiral cut ham on Sunday for Easter.

762e818b_322.jpg

0c164783_325.jpg

The turkey looked great. Sorry the ribs didn't meet your expectations. We get all of our meat at Sam's Club. If you have one or a Costco's near you it's a good place for meat. The quality is always good & it's inexpensive as well.

Sorry it's taken so long to get the post-smoke qview on here.  The ribs were better than on my ECB, but still pretty tough.  I'm positive it is the cheap meat.  I didn't take a post-smoke picture of them. 

The turkey on the other hand turned out great.  I am doing another turkey breast and a spiral cut ham on Sunday for Easter.
How did you do the ribs? 3-2-1?-------2-2-1?

Were they Spares or Baby Backs?

SmokinAl...  My neighbor said he buys his baby back ribs at Sams but he doesn't have a smoker to cook them in.  I do not have a membership (yet), but he was going to pick some up for me next time.  He said he would buy and share them with me if i smoke them.  Pretty good trade I say.

Bearcarver... I did the 3-2-1 on spare ribs.  I have been pretty happy with my rib turnout with this method on my ECB. 

I did another turkey breast and spiral cut ham for Easter (sorry no qview).  I'm thinking about doing a brisket tomorrow.  I'll be sure to qview. 

Still impressed with my MES.

Once your neighbor tastes your ribs he will be making a lot of trips to Sam's. Sounds like a great deal for both of you.

Those 30 lb boxes of ribs Come from some mutant animal . LOL

Them things are nasty  ,i made the same mistake long ago when i din't know better.

ended up boiling them and feeding them to the dogs.

You will be impressed w/ some spares from sams done with the 3-2-1 method.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky