First shot at a brined yard bird.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heavy hauler

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Wisconsin
Have had this little fellar in I believe Pops's brine recipe for about 2-1/2 days. I found it while trolling around. I did some more reading and someone talked about covering the poor little birds feet with damp paper towel so his legs don't dry out so bad. So here goes nothing. The 40" mes will be lonely with just this one test bird but I need to start somewhere.
I still remember the one cured Turkey I had about 20 years ago. I have never been able to get that salty smokey goodness taste out of my mind since..It should be plenty salty since it was a small bird around 4 lbs I can't remember. In a 1 gallon bag getting pickled. Hanging out to dry until tomorrow morning. Stuffed with paper towel and sitting on a bed of them also.
Wish me luck it's supposed to hit 7*f tomorrow.

Should be tasty.

Not sure about wrapping the legs on wet paper towels. If the bird is cooked to the proper internal temp you won't have an issue drying out any part of the bird.

Air dryer no the bird on a drying rack in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours will help the skin be bite through or if smoking in a higher temp pit crispy.

Warming up before going to the sauna. Nearly empty smoker
But a full shed. I need a warm day to clean. This "shed" is large enough to park a car in but that means I would have to part ways with most of my junk. I want another new chain saw but the wife says you have four of them how many more do you need lol. My cs2188 is in the background...The pride of my fleet.

Last edited:
I had just done 2 chickens on this past Saturday and they were very moist when I had taken them off & I had the chicken on for about 6 hrs. I had not put any paper towel on it either.

Where to begin...
I brought the bird in as the wife was preparing salad and tuna fish sanwichs for supper. If it is smoked it's suspect meat to her she doesn't like anything smokey. With that being said she will humor me and give some things a try.
So we had just finished our salads and had cheese cut for the tuna sandwichs when she says if you want me to try that you better get to it. (both of us about full from salads) So I hop to it and the firstpiece went to her BIGO chunk of white meat. She laughed and said I will try it doesn't mean I will like it. Takes a bite and says oh my. My back being turned to her whittling away on this bird I can't see her face and not even have trying and yet thinking great it tastes bad to her. I says what??? She says it tastes like ham is it supposed to taste like ham. At this point I can't cut this bugger up fast enough. It was delicious juicy tender and smokey just about perfect. She has me schedule to do more really soon.
I only used pecan because of her pallet to smoke I could have done hickory for myself but I like a good hard smoke.
I am so full I need a nap.

Thanks to Pops for sharing his recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky