First "scratch" pizza. Chicago sort of. (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I've been thinking about making a lower sodium pizza myself for a while and the recent posts and rainy days gave me the "Oomph" I needed.

The first step was to make our own sauce:
1) 15oz can of "No Salt Added" Tomato sauce
1) 6oz can of "No Salt Added" Tomato paste
1 Tb Oregano
1 1/2 Tsp Dry Minced Garlic
1 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tsp Basil
1 Tsp White Sugar
sauce.jpg
Next step was a crust. I found one simple enough for even me to tackle.
I'm picturing the recipe so you can see that I wasn't just being lazy about not letting it rise and not rolling it.
The recipe didn't call for it. dough reecipe.jpg
dough.jpg It rested for 10 minutes and got rolled and kneaded into a ball.
So here we go:
Sprayed a 12" C.I. pan with Pam and added a light sprinkle of Corn Meal:
corn meal.jpg
Next I spread the dough out as evenly as I could and gave it a bit of Grated Fresh Romano:
romano.jpg
Added sauce. The Mrs. doesn't like a lot of sauce so, well. you know..
sauced.jpg
Then some Mozzarella: cheese.jpg
I had to sacrifice a couple of my recently stuffed Sweet Italians.
Skinned them and nuked them for a couple of minutes:
cut sausage.jpg nuked sausage.jpg
Next the sausage: sausage added.jpg
Then Mushrooms and Onions: mushrooms and onions.jpg
Bell Peppers and more cheese: peppers and more chesse.jpg
Finally, Pepperoni and more cheese:
pepperoni and more cheese.jpg
Into the oven at 425 for just under 25 minutes. The dough recipe said 15 to 20 but I figured the iron needed to heat up a bit.
I figured it was done when the crust looked right.
out of the oven.jpg cut.jpg slice.jpg knife and fork.jpg
All in all, I'm very happy with how it turned out.
The crust was a little thick in some places but soft and chewy like we like it.
The Mrs. has already had a small slice for "brunch" and I'm making up a Garlic Butter dip for dinner.
I know the Cheese and Pepperoni blew the "Lower Sodium" thing out of the water, but the No Salt sauce and crust
had to help a little ;-)

I know it's a long post, but it's another rainy day and I have nothing to cook and needed something to pass an hour or so.
If you had the patience to sit through it Bless You and Have a nice day!

Dan

Looks really good! Filling for sure I bet! Thanks for the step by step... must have been interesting cuz I definitely didn't think it was long!

Ryan

I think it looks great. Try BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella Log, Pre-Sliced Specialty Cheese, 16 oz
At 85mg Sodium per Oz, it's less than half that of the average shedded mozz...JJ

Reactions: SmokyMose
Nice piece of work Mose, looks wonderful, Like! That's just about the same dough recipe I've settled on for the last year now, simple and easy. RAY

Mam oh man, that is one fine looking pizza right there. It sure makes them a LOT better when all the goodies...or at least most of them, are homemade. Excellent job!1

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky