First run on the 22.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamapig

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
I ran this the orevious night after assembly to get a feel for it and emptied a bad of lump from Publix. It just about filled the ring up. I made a hole in the center and dumped a half chimney of lit lump and no problems for over 4 hours with hardly any adjustments. According the stick thermometer is was 250. ( I don't know if it's accurate or not but I was just testing the smoker).

Yesterday I put on a brisket. I filled up the ring with royal Royal oak and did the same as above but about 45 minutes in bam it shot up to over 325!. The only thing I did different was put more water in the water pan. So I took off the brisket and dipped some water out but that didn't help really. Not sure if having the lid open that long caused more air to get in and keep the temps up or what. So I just waited it out and about an hour later it calmed down to about 260 and yhat was with all vents shut off. The coals in the bottom were glowing red. It's weird to me. Any advice? I tried to pack the coals together.
One last thing, what is a good upgrade thermometer to the stock 22?

I did the same today but was just seasoning it. I got it down to temp the last....4? Hours. I think it's misleading how much charcoal to use (I used lump). I filled a chimney almost full, then dumped it in the basket. Then took out enough to make a depression (picture a volcano?), Heated those in the chimney and added into the depression. It shot up to over 325! When it finally cooled down (all vents closed) I added two pieces of lump and two pieces of apple wood chunk and it held at 250 for about 3 hours before I decided it was well seasoned! Trying less charcoal to start next time!

I think you started off with to many lit coals. Next time only use about a quarter of a chimney and once your about 20 degrees away from your target temp start closing down the bottom vents until the smoker stabilizes. Leave the top vent open at all times. Once the smoker is stable and at your temp then put the meat on. If you use water, use hot water so your not wasting the charcoals energy to heat up the water. Recently I haven't even used the chimney to start my coals. I just put a weber cube on the grate light it and drop a few unlit coals on top of it.

Chris

The WSM 22.5 likes to run hot. Conventional wisdom does not seem to hold true for this cooker. Everyone says to leave the top vent wide open. In my experience you will have trouble trying to keep the cooker running around 225 and have big temp swings. I read an article about Harry Soo (Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ) where he runs his pits with the top closed to some degree and uses the top vent to control temps. Not sure where I read the article but a web search should find it.

My usual setup is bottom 3 vents open about 1/4" once the temp comes up I end up with the top vent 2/3 to 1/2 closed. Just about any temp control I will do with the top vent. Since I started closing the top vent I can get a consistent 14 to 16 hour burn from an 18lb bag of KBB. near the end of the cook you might have to stoke the coals and knock down some of the ash. I use this setup with ambient temps from 30 to 80 degrees. Also I use the minion method for long cooks with about 25 lit coals.

Once you get the temps dialed in this is a great smoker.

There is a bit of a learning curve, and the new ones do run hot.
They calm down after a few smokes.
I start with a full ring of unlit charcoal with wood chunks mixed in.
Then put about 10-12 lit briquettes on the top of the pile.
When it gets close to temp, start to shut the bottom vents.
Mine usually runs at 225 with 2 bottom vents shut & one just cracked open.
Top vent fully open.
Al

Should i not add as much water to the pan as well? Guess Ill start with fewer lit coals and see how that does it along with less water in the pan. Its just suprising at the difference in the burn off smoke and the first cook smoke.

I should add that Ive been smoking for over 5 years on an offset so im not new to smoking. And the brisket was very juicy and tasty just had to save it from the temp swing!

I do just about the same thing as Chris does, and Chris good call on just starting a lit cube and setting a few on top of that. I dont leave my top vent open all the way either, I read a ton of on how Harry Soo does his so I mimick alot that he does, I do use the top vent to control the temp, unless I need to get more air and I will open the bottoms more. And that temp gauge on the lid is not accurate for grate level.

In my opinion you have to know that lump burns HOTTER than regular briqs. That’s why I like to use it, as it also has less ash. I run my top vents wide open and control air from the 3 bottom ones. I open them up a little at a time till I get where I want to be. I like to wait about 15 min after each adj. My thing is that it is easier to get it hotter but not so easy to cool it down so to speak. I can run 10 hrs and never touch her. I also believe each cooker cooks different and as you use it you will know how much fuel to add and where to place the vents with each cut of meat.

I keep my water pan full. Its more of a heat sink than anything. Less water might make the temps rise, but mine usually stays full and evaporates out as I cook so I can not say that as I have no prove.

My .02.

War Eagle!!!!!

Last edited:
There is a bit of a learning curve, and the new ones do run hot.
They calm down after a few smokes.
I start with a full ring of unlit charcoal with wood chunks mixed in.
Then put about 10-12 lit briquettes on the top of the pile.
When it gets close to temp, start to shut the bottom vents.
Mine usually runs at 225 with 2 bottom vents shut & one just cracked open.
Top vent fully open.
Al

This! I do the same with lump adding about 1/4 chimney for the minion. You can start closing bottom vents at 210 to 215 and I also end with 2 closed and 1 partial. I leave the top wide open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky