First run at sopressata in my DIY curing chamber - no white mold after 5 days?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoha_haze

Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
I've started 6 sausages in my DIY curing chamber (still under construction). I used pork rib tips, deboned, and seasoned with these quantities:

Ground Pork Weight (lbs) 6 lbs
2304 grams
Ingredient % Calculation
Koser Salt 2.65% 61.1 grams
Insta Cure #2 0.26% 6.0 grams
Minced Garlic 0.26% 6.0 grams
Black Pepper 0.13% 3.0 grams
Hot Pepper Flakes 0.09% 2.1 grams

The meat is hanging in my chamber at 57f and between 60-85% humidity. I have a fan that runs when the compressor for the fridge runs, to move air around a few times daily.

full

At the moment the humidity is being generated from a salt bath and sponge - I have an inkbird controller and humidifier I will be adding this weekend to try and stabilize the humidity.

I've got Bactoferm on order (delivery today) to try and encourage the mold to grow, to combat other undesirable mold.

Should I be concerned about no white mold? I am not getting significant "drying out" but the meat is shrinking in the casings.

Thoughts? Concerns? Things I should think about/change?

I have a panchetta and bresola about to join the sausages in the chamber this weekend.

Reactions: Saline_Smoker
I personally wouldn't concern myself that not having mold on them is going to seriously throw off anything in your drying process. I dry lots of meat without mold as I like to cold smoke the mass majority of my salamis/coppa/what have you. And while the smoke does help inhibit bad molds to some degree - you can always just wipe off anything (on the surface) you don't like with some vinegar water. Looks to me you're doing just fine, and once you get your humidifier set up in there, there'll be no stopping you.

Reactions: hoha_haze
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky