How lower the humity in myhome made dry cure chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert S. Julian Sr.

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Good morning, I need help (maybe a psychiatrist too) I have been doing research and build a dry curing chamber out of a drink cooler (with glass door). I installed a heating controller that controls the temperature (operating the refrigeration and if necessary turns on the electric burner) I installed a Humidity/dehumidifier controller which I have a humidifier plugged in at this time. The problem I have is I have now 100 lbs. of salami and pepperoni hanging it there and the humidity is high 85- 90%. The humidifier cuts on when the humidity drops below 70%. (it works during tests phase). I just ordered another humidity controller, the smallest dehumidifier I could find and a small fan, they won't be delivered till tomorrow afternoon. I have opened the door approximately 1/2 to 1 inch. The temperature in the room right now is about 69 Degrees F. and the Humidity is 65%. the temperature inside the chamber is 51 Degrees and the humidity is 90%. There is not an exhaust in the chamber (do I need to put one in?). when I install the dehumidifier, hopefully it will keep the humidity in check. The only fan installed presently is the one that comes on when the refrigeration is running. do I need to install a fan to run when the dehumidifier or humidifier is running? Can the fan be connected to a timer to come on at certain intervals? I was in advanced electronics in the navy and worked as an electrician in the ship yard, so I have good knowledge on how to (not get zapped). I am located in Virginia beach, Virginia (USA). The chamber is located in my sunroom, which I try to keep the temperature 71 to 75 Degrees. You may contact me via email [email protected]. As you can tell I am just getting into dry curing sausages. I have been smoking and producing various sausages for years.

In a computer room I have had to install a humidity sensor and have it bring on 1 string of electric heat in order to make the ac run longer to pu more moisture,you may have to install a rheostat on the heating element to control the amount of heat put into the chamber,it wont take much in order to make the unit run longer,a simple small watt lite bulb would work well and a fan running all of the time in there will promote much better temps and dehumidification imo,you will have to wing it as you already have meat in there

Also when you say drink cooler does it have a defrost cycle? if not it has no way to get rid of the moisture in there and no amount of heat will correct that

Thank you for the imput. The small dehumidifier did not bring the humidity down. I will rig up a light bulb in a can and try it. As far as if the drink cooler having a defrost cycle. I don't know for sure but there is a tray under the unit that I have dumped one so far. The are a couple of similar set-up on u tube. I may have been over zellous and put to much meat in the unit. With the humidity being between 85 - 90 percent, for 5 days now, will the sausages be ruined?

if there is not a auto defrost cycle you will not be able to control the humidity,there is not a way to pull the moisture out of the cabinet that I am aware of,no idea on the sausages but hopefully some body here will know,if no defrost cycle scrap the lite bulb idea as that wont help any thing

Thank you for the feedback back. I now have two additional humidity gauges. One under the hanging sausages, (it reads 70 percent humidity and temp of 45 deg F.) Second one above the sausages ( humidity only 88) the two on my controllers are located about 8 inched down from the tops of the sausages and they read 84 and 85. The temperature controller is cycling between 40 and 45 degrees. The humidity in my sunroom this morning is 52, temperature of 70. The dehumidifier has very little water in it
I have another one arriving tomorrow. I believe that there is a defrost cycle in this unit. I am dumping the drip tray daily, two time the past week, it has over flowed on my floor.(I was going to say deck, 20 years in the Navy and 24 years working at the shipyard coming out). The bottom line is: 70 to 87 percent humidity range from bottom to the top of the sausages. The feel of the sausages are dry not slimy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky