First ribs on new WSM 22.5/Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I'm still experimenting with my birthday present. Wife bought me a WSM 22.5. Previously using a MES 40". I'm learning to control the temp. a little better each time I use it. I think my main problem is I over correct by closing or opening the vents too much at a time. This time I was able to walk away for 30 min. or so & the temp didn't change much, so I'm getting better at it. I guess there is a learning curve with every smoker. Anyhow, I've had success so far with a brisket, turkey, and a corned beef (pastrami). So I thought I'd try a slab of ribs. I usually get my spares at Sam's, but the closest Sam's is about an hour away. So I got some at our local Winn-Dixie. Usually there meat is pretty good, but these ribs didn't have the meat on them that I'm used to getting at Sam's. I just used yellow mustard & Jeff's rub, wrapped them in saran wrap & in the fridge overnight. The wife likes fall of the bone ribs so I used the 3-2-1 method. After removing them from the foil I sauced both sides for the last hour. They were tender & juicy with a nice smoke flavor. Here's how they looked.

d9362944_PICT00022.jpg

icon_cool.gif

breakfast, linch, a late nightsnack I'd eat them anytime. You did one fine job on the ribs there Al.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Good job Al! Nice to see a WSM getting a workout.
biggrin.gif

I find for 90% of what I smoke on my WSM I will either have all 3 vents 75% closed, or close 2 completely and have the third 75% closed. Once you get used to it you will be able to set your vents and basically walk away for 3 or 4 hrs. without even worring about it.

Thanks JIR for the advice. I think what threw me was that it took so little air flow to maintain the heat. I had all 3 vents mostly closed, and like you said a couple of times, 2 completely closed & the last one just cracked open. This thing sure cooks good though.

Hey Al,

Here's a hint for you.

Now that you've moved away from our easy MES 40 way of smoking, you have to start cutting your products (like ribs) open, so you can show off your smoke ring. 
wink.gif

Bear

Last edited:
Your right Bear. I was about to do that when we started eating them & realized there wasn't enough left to take pictures of, so the wife took a couple of pics of the last couple of ribs & they came out blurry. Next time, plenty of smoke ring views.

I am new to this forum and also new to smoking meats.  Can you give me advice as to the best charcoal to use? Thank you in advance.

Great looking ribs Al - you are really dialing those in nicely

Heater, You need to go to roll call & introduce yourself. Then I suggest taking the 5 day smoking course. As far a charcoal goes, I think everybody has their preference. I just use regular Kingsford blue bag.

Definitely some great looking ribs there Al!  Looks like I'm going to have to put up the popup tent to smoke mine today...dang rain!

I'm trying to talk Santa into a 22.5 WSM myself. lol

I am new to this forum and also new to smoking meats.  Can you give me advice as to the best charcoal to use? Thank you in advance.
Hello, and welcome to the SMF. When you have the chance, introduce yourself and tell us a little about your smoker or grill.  It's all good my friend.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky