First Ribs in Masterbuilt Dual Smoker with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Beans and Slaw recipe can be a touchy subject sometimes it is better to leave the mystery alone Everything sure looks good

Gary

nuff said     don't want Mrs. Yotzee upset   

Gary

I like to throw my pan of beans in the smoker, just under the ribs to catch the drippings.
drool.gif
Gonna actually try that one next time out.  She didn't have the beans ready yet

Looks really nice.  Right now, I use the water pan in the same position for my wood chunks.  This weekend, I plan to drill the four holes about 2-inches down so I can reposition that last spot where the rack that holds the original water pan so it gets a little closer to the where that burner is...but too close.  For the water, I use a stainless or aluminum catering type pan (4" deep) - 14" x 9" or whatever...works really good. You can find them at restraurant supply stores, Sams Club or of course Amazon.  It works well, cuz I never have to open the door to add water and it leaves enough room for the drippings to fall in the water.  Of course, most of the time, I only fill it up halfway with water.  I also took the advice of the smoking veterans and bought that high-temp tape strip to go around the sides of the door and it definitely has improved my smoking.  It helped seal the gaps.  I found that leaving that top vent partly open really helps with getting blue smoke which you want.  

I don't know about you but I am finding that the trick is too "not" use too much wood.  I seem to get better results when I use a couple nice size chunks ..2".  

Good luck, smoking...it's fun.

Wow! Great idea with the beans! My wife has a killer baked bean recipe and adding the meat from the riblettes would totally kick it up a notch. Already have the menu lined up for the playoffs tomorrow but theres 2 racks of spare ribs in the freezer.

Wow! Great idea with the beans! My wife has a killer baked bean recipe and adding the meat from the riblettes would totally kick it up a notch. Already have the menu lined up for the playoffs tomorrow but theres 2 racks of spare ribs in the freezer.
Next time I am going to place the beans in a pan inside the smoker, under the ribs and see how that turns out

Christmas brought me a new Masterbuilt Duel Fuel Pro smoker.  After reading numerous reviews of the smoker I figured it was the best for the price range I was looking in.  The reviews are spot on, needs a few mods and its a fine little smoker.  The cast iron skillet for a wood tray is a must as you will get wood flare ups with the pan that's provided, and the door thermometer is off by 40 degrees as expected.  So after a few smokes with spatchcocked yardbirds, a rack of baby backs and some wings to get the feel for it, I decided it was time for spare ribs.

I picked up a cryopack of untrimmed spare ribs.  Decided I wanted to try cutting them St Louis style myself, and was surprised how quick and easy it was.  Never again will I pay the extra price per pound for trimmed ribs.  Covered them with my own rub and wrapped into the fridge for the night.

Took them out and let to sit in room temp as I got the smoker ready to go

The smoker loaded up with the ribs and the trimmings that Mrs. Yotzee was going to add to her soon to be famous baked beans.  My one complaint with the smoker is that its smaller in width and depth then I expected.

After about 4 hours, pulled the trimmings and chopped for her beans (what didn't end up in my mouth anyway)

Wanted to try something a little different, so I made my Carolina style sauce I use on Pulled Pork, and added just a touch extra molasses to make it just thick enough to stick to the ribs:

About 6 hours at 225-250 with apple wood smoke for the first 4 hours, and a little coat of the Carolina sauce the last hour and we had some good looking ribs:

Yotzee's first plate with a big helpin of Mrs Yotzee's beans.  The smoked pork trimmings in the beans took them to the next level of unbelievably good

Ribs turned out perfect in my mind.  Just the right tug off the bone, but came away clean.  Nice smoke ring and the Carolina Sauce may be our new favorite, had the bowl on the side for adding more.  Mrs Yotzee likes her ribs to fall off the bone more, so next time I will be crutching hers, but I'll takes these ones all day long,

Thanks for the look!

Looks great. Thanks for sharing
"~~ picked up a cryopack of untrimmed spare ribs. Decided I wanted to try cutting them St Louis style myself, and was surprised how quick and easy it was. Never again will I pay the extra price per pound for trimmed ribs."

I bought spareribs with the same goal in mind, but when push came to shove I decided "what the hell!" and just pulled off the membranes. I decided that for me I didn't want to put in the extra effort of cutting off the diaphragm and the brisket bone (or top piece or rib tips--whatever you want to call it). Nobody eating the ribs complained. Maybe this summer I will trim the ribs just for the experience and skill building.

Got a MB duel fuel pro for christmas. Love it. Just oufitted it with the mb smoker shelf found at Walmart online for $9. The shelf was made for the MES but it fits the gas smokers with making the drill holes a littlle bigger. Nice good size shelf to hold my maverick and some mopping cup and gloves. And also replaced the factory external thermometer for larger 3-inch RIver Country therm at amazon. Really and actually the dial from my back door. Large numbers and very accurate. Getting ready to put it on a garden cart so I can wheel it out from the house if I need to. Have some room for my wood chunks. Put some sides on it to keep wind from blowing out pilot sometimes.

Last edited:
Wow, shelf is a great idea! I am going to look into it. I sit my ivation (which I think is a maverick in disguise) on a prep table I inherited for outside but the wire for the Smoker therm is short and its a pain. I would love some place closer to sit the therms and utensils. Does the shelf get hot when you're using the smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky