• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First reverse sear attempt w/strips

unlgrad2002

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 2, 2014
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Just used a little Montreal steak seasoning. Loaded the Amazen tube with apple and oak and into the MES. IT while smoking got a little higher (130°) than I wanted so rather than pile up the coals on the side of the kettle and put them on for a few minutes I just put a rack on the chimney to cut the sear time down. Didn't get much of a crust but was more concerned about not overcooking.

Overall, didn't notice a ton of smoke flavor, but definitely different than coals alone. The other thing is very little fat renedered from the edge. I generally eat the whole steak without trimming so it was a little under rendered for my taste. I think next time I'll pull from the MES much sooner so they have more time to sear. I did like the fact nearly the whole steak was the same level of doneness.

At the end of the day, any day that ends with a steak is a good day. Especially with 70° temps in November!

http://s901.photobucket.com/user/unlgrad2002/media/Food/FEEBADA2-31DF-425D-895C-95667E98CFD3_zpsqky2podb.jpg.html

http://s901.photobucket.com/user/unlgrad2002/media/Food/07E2F39E-EDF4-41F9-8E55-10A6E9F2E90F_zpsm3ocy7rw.jpg.html

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Looks really good! I've only done this a time or 2 and enjoyed it for sure.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Now that's a good looking steak!!

Al

xxsmokedoutxx

Fire Starter
Joined May 27, 2015
Looks great! I've done this with tri-tip about 3 times now, and it really works great. That steak pic is making me hungry haha!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.