First Post

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uvalde

Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
Simpsonville, SC
I have been a member for many years, but this is my first post.
Originally from Uvalde, TX but have lived in Simpsonville, SC since 1988

My background is in manufacturing and enterprise software systems supporting operations

I have a Traeger 34 that I bought back in 2015. It has served me well, but probably getting close to replacing it

I am trying to find recipes to smoke a 24lb fresh ham for Christmas. Nothing elaborate on spices, actually prefer to stay simple.
All I seem to find is recipes using already smoked hams. Any suggestions?

Welcome out of the shadows.

Need a little more info on the ham issue. If you are talking about curing a 24 lb fresh ham then hot or cold smoking it, hopefully you've already started curing. Curing for cold smoking should have been started a while ago. Curing for hot smoking could still be done with a lot of injection then a 7-10 day submerged curing period, followed by a hot smoke.

Please fill in the details what you need to do.

As for the ham, I've never smoked a whole green ham, but if you're smoking it to slice for Christmas dinner, maybe diamond cut the outside with about 1/2 inch deep cuts, coat liberally with yellow mustard, and then heavily with a dry rub of your choice, or S.P.O.G., or here's one I use for Boston Butts...
  • 1 cup paprika
  • 4 tablespoon black pepper
  • 4 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 4 tablespoon chili powder
  • 4 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 4 tablespoon onion powder
  • 4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
The mustard doesn't really add any flavor, it just holds the spices on the meat and of course these measurements can be adjusted to your tastes.

Smoke at 225℉-250℉ to an internal temp of 165℉. Remove from smoker, cover loosely with foil, and let it rest 30 minutes or so before slicing. The ham can be basted every hour or two with a combination of equal parts pineapple juice and apple juice, and add about a 2-3 TBSP of brown sugar per quart. If you're wanting to make pulled pork, you'll need to cook it until it probes tender all over. The I.T. will be over 200℉ and probably closer to 210℉.

Maybe someone else will be along to help...

My background is in manufacturing and enterprise software systems supporting operations

I have a Traeger 34 that I bought back in 2015. It has served me well, but probably getting close to replacing it

I am trying to find recipes to smoke a 24lb fresh ham for Christmas. Nothing elaborate on spices, actually prefer to stay simple.
Hey there from 30 mins down the road. I remeber when simplville was 2 redlights and all farms.... Those were the good days as now a 1 mile stretch takes 30 mins to drive from hobby lobby to 385..... Now as far as a fresh ham I smoke mine with pecan wood at 225f all night. You must have beer to accomplish this correctly. Maybe we can get together sometime. I dont bite but my mule might.

daveomak daveomak had a post a while back that is time proven, I’d suggest starting there and then hit him/others up with details as they come up.

Welcome from the other side! Post some pictures on how it went!

More details as requested.

I was planning to smoke uncured with pecan pellets at 225-250
Looks like I should plan to brine for up to 7 days prior to smoking. Any recommendation on how long to brine?

Would injecting it be helpfule. I have used a combo of butter and apple juice in the past.

I will smoke to 165 degrees which looks like it could take 10-12 hours. Is this a reasonable estimate?

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky