first post - time to give back

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbearsmoker

Original poster
May 27, 2013
Dallas

Hello all.  I have taken so much from everyone, so thought it is time to give back. i have learned alot from all the posts.  

Above is a pork shoulder (thermometer inserted), and below is a brisket.  Pork size is 4.75 lbs and the brisket 5.75.  Both have been on for 9.5 hours at about 205.  The pork is currently stalling out at 160.  I hope to have both ready for lunch around noon.  Big issue i have had is grossly underestimating time to cook. I just purchased a IQ 110 to regulate my temperature, which has worked fantastic.  all of the magic is happening in a big steel keg.  IQ allowed me to put meat on and go to bed.  I still could not sleep. . . too much worry about my precious meat!

This is my first brisket in the bsk.  The pork butts have come out great in the past (getting them up to 185 internal temp and then pulling).  ribs have been so so - likely due to temp problems.  I am not sure what i really have in this brisket.  It looks almost like a flat, but it has a thick fat cap that covers the entire piece of meat.  I thought it may be a point due to the large fat cap.  obviously not the whole packer brisket.  I will post pic when i take off. 

Here's a link to my rub - http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/19262226/tim-byres-bbq-beef-coffee-cure

Welcome to the forums! Glad you've joined us. You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastime...grilling and smoking great food! There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here who really enjoy helping one another. Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty.

Red

Welcome to the forums.

You should always plan for about 2 hours per pound on both the pork butts and briskets. 

Also, I would be very careful about putting the pork above the beef, always the other way around.

Good luck,

Bill

Yep, you'll be fine, looks good so far. As Bill says, figure the time needed and add more for a buffer, it will hold  in a cooler , all wrapped - up for about 6hrs. , and continue to get tenderer.

Send some plated shots and the reactions of your Guest when it was served. (should be great, I'm thinking)

As always, have fun and . . .

:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

Glad you joined us bbearsmoker, :welcome1: from North Dakota!
Your coffee rub recipe sounds fantastic, I just may have to give that a try; thanks for sharing!

With your cook I notice your are running your cook chamber heat around 205º. For food safety reasons you would be better off getting the heat up to 225º to 250º; at these temps you would be able to get the meats internal temp through the 40º to 140º in a 4 hour time frame and eliminate the risk of food poisoning. Only reason I mention this is I do not want to see anyone get sick, or worse.

Also I think for pulling pork butts you will find it much easier if you bring the internal meat temp of the butts to 200º to 205º, instead of 185º.

Please don't take my suggestions as criticism; I love outdoor cooking and my comments are meant to be helpful and constructive. Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished cook!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Happy Memorial Day!
smilie_flagge13.gif

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/terms-of-service

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

bam!  slam dunk on the brisket.  it was out of this world.  meat candy is the best description this amateur can provide.  great crust.  the guests loved it, and i am still stuffed after 4 hours.  I took the brisket and pork off after 13 hours.  The pork was taken off at an internal temp of 180.  The pull was a little tough and needed extra cooking.  the probe went in and came right out on the brisket. internal temp was at 205.  cut into it 20 minutes later into and the results are in the pic above and in my stomach.  Will start at 225 from here going forward.   man that rub is out of this world.  extremely happy.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky