First pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtyruss

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 13, 2017
San Marcos
So I shot a big wild sow a few months ago and finally got around to smoking one of the shoulders. This is the first time smoking a pork shoulder and I am very happy with the end product. I also smoked some cabbage and onions, and even smoked tomato sauce to turn into a smoked paste for my bbq sauce. All of these were successful and will be happening again!
20180527_215643.jpg
20180527_211349.jpg
20180527_204753.jpg
20180527_204711.jpg
20180527_081831.jpg

Last edited:
She was big (300) but long and lean. Very clean taste, less fatty than a farm raised, but more porky flavor which I enjoy. I did do a brine on this as i believe all pork and chicken need it.

Thank you for the feedback Eddie. Being in central Texas beef is of course our primary protein, so i took the same approach as I do with my brisket, adding the brine of course, with only a dry rub. Made some pulled pork and eggs tacos for breakfast! I see why this is such a popular hunk of meat to smoke.

Probably the hottest that old girl ever got!
Sure looks great to me!

It's my understanding the difference between domestic and wild is about 3 weeks.
Hogs revert to wild ways very fast.

I really like that you smoked your trimmins for the feast. All sound scrumptious.

Like!

Reactions: dirtyruss
That’s great for your first shoulder! Wow! Nice job! And nice hunt. We had a wild boar shoulder a few years back and it was gaaaaamey! No joke. We basted it with vinegar while smoking to help it out a bit. Extremely lean. Not like a normal pork shoulder. But the end result was pretty good. Now that I’ve had it I need to get down to Arkansas and shoot one myself!

Scott

Thanks, I have always been told that a sow would have less gamieness than a boar so that is what I sought out during the hunt. I have made elk sausage with this sow with amazing results as well. I need to get thoes pics posted.

Reactions: SonnyE
That’s great for your first shoulder! Wow! Nice job! And nice hunt. We had a wild boar shoulder a few years back and it was gaaaaamey! No joke. We basted it with vinegar while smoking to help it out a bit. Extremely lean. Not like a normal pork shoulder. But the end result was pretty good. Now that I’ve had it I need to get down to Arkansas and shoot one myself!

Scott

A friend on mine up in Wyoming gave us a hunk of Antelope that was the best meat I ever ate. I asked him how he did his game.
He quartered the goat, and put it all in the bathtub, filled with cold water, distribute a cup of salt, and changed the brine each 8 hours for 24 hours. (Convenient in that the used brine went down the drain.)
That soaked out all the blood and gaminess out of the Antelope. Antelope can have an almost unpalatable taste from the gas in their hollow hair. They really stink!
Once I learned that local boy trick, we virtually lived on game meat for years in Wyoming.
I did that with the Deer and the Antelope. And our kids loved it too!
That's saying something when kids enjoy game meat.

In todays society of diminishing hunters and increasing reliance on processed foods I feel it is especially important to keep your kids involved in hunting and cooking. My 5 year old is joining me on his first dove hunt this year and I cant wait!

In todays society of diminishing hunters and increasing reliance on processed foods I feel it is especially important to keep your kids involved in hunting and cooking. My 5 year old is joining me on his first dove hunt this year and I cant wait!

Great! It is my belief that kids raised around hunting and self reliance, overall have a better life. They can survive.
My dad started me around that age with a pellet gun, in the back yard. By 6 I was trusted to take a small gallery type .22 LR Remington Model 12 pump and go shooting/hunting.
I was a life-long hunter/fisherman, but put up my guns when I came back to California. Too many A'holes out trying to be the "Great White Hunters". Last I heard, a billion years ago, the success rate for California Deer hunters was 7%. 7%!
7, out of 100 butt heads got a deer!
So I decided to raise my meat. Goats, pigs, beef.

So I make my yard into a sanctuary, feed any critters that come in (uh, within reason), and just this year a Mama Dove who has spent the last 7-8 years raising baby Doves here, finally got too old.
She laid two eggs that never hatched in March. Then two that made two doves. Then sat on an empty nest and finally gave up.
But she probably added 8-10 doves per year to the Dove population just from my patio.
I was saddened to see her dry up. But what a great experience, and wonderful thing to share with the Grand-kids.

I kinda doubt any of "my" doves would make it to Texas, but by golly, if any do, I sure hope they can fall to a 5 year old, learning to hunt and eat what he can get for his efforts from the bounty of nature.

You are a Good Dad Russ, best of luck as you head out teaching your Son. Safety First! ;)
Son's are great game carriers when too young to swing the gun. :)
They'll treasure for a lifetime the memories. :rolleyes:

Nice looking pan of vittles you got there. Never had wild boar, but now with my daughter and her husband living in Georgia that may change.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky