First Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

basschk

Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
Nashville, TN
I can't say enough about the resources you all provide on this site! I am 4-1/2 hours into my first pork butt (actually 2...a 5# and a 4#) and any question I have had has been answered in other forum posts. I love that you do not merely offer ideas, but I am always able to find answers wrought through experience. This site ROCKS!!

I am cooking indirect on a 4-burner Char-Broil Infra-red grill with a Smokai generator and a DIY PID controller to monitor my temp. I've been able to keep the temp pretty consistent at 230 turned almost to the very lowest setting on the farthest burner. I also have a pan of water to maintain a little moisture in the chamber. Haven't opened it up since starting. Planning to check the meat temp at 8 hours. Guess we will see how it turns out...
icon_smile.gif

I'm really glad that you like it here on this great site. What rub or prep did you use on your butts? Please try to post some pics when you're done.

Good luck with it and keep on smoking. Joe. :grilling_smilie:

Thanks, Joe! I used a Sweet and Smokey Chipotle Rub I made and had leftover from some ribs I smoked a couple weeks ago. 

I slathered with prepared mustard, then applied the rub. Wrapped in plastic overnight. I'll try to remember to post some pics.

Reactions: gearjammer
Great start!

I'm glad you found us & we could help you with your first butt!

As Joe said we like photo's!

Al

welcome1.gif

Looks like you're well on your way to a new addiction!  The action pictures look great and the final PP pic looks spot on!

Looking forward to seeing more from you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky