First Pork Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunnyDC

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Washington, DC
bfast-sausage-06.jpg

This morning I fried up my first attempt at making breakfast sausage. I was hampered by two realities: I don't have a meat grinder yet (used my food processor) and I couldn't decide on any sort of binder for them, so there were some less-than-desirable chunks of fat that didn't get ground enough to suit me (didn't faze my better half or the grandboys, I should add) and it was sort of crumbly, but the flavor was good!

I guess I'm going to have to face the fact that I'm now too addicted to playing with meat that I need a proper meat grinder. My KitchenAid is ailing (I used to make bread twice a day for years and it's just *tired* now!) and I don't want to overtax it, so that means a standalone unit. But I'd love to hear from anyone who uses binders or some other method to help the crumbly problem. Maybe I just didn't get it all homogeneous enough... but I was afraid I'd turn it into a paste and wind up with breakfast Krystals...

This is what it looked like before cooking:

bfast-sausage-07.jpg

At any rate, it was gobbled up around here, so I guess it was at least a partial success!

Sunny

Try buying some ground pork and try again while you are waiting / thinking about a grinder . You didn't say what spice you used . I have a couple pre mixed , but the pop's sausage is a good one . Season it up and mix until sticky . I add binder to other types of sausage but leave it out of the breakfast .
This might help you with both questions , give it a look . The recipe is in there .
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/nfdm-in-breakfast-sausage-links.247866/

Maybe I just didn't get it all homogeneous enough
Not sure what cut of meat you used or fat/muscle ratio?Maybe next time,try trimming and "grinding" the muscle and fat separately.This would allow you to get the consistency you want without making a paste or emulsion.Your binding problems would likely be solved.

Reactions: SunnyDC
In addition to what's already been mentioned, salt plays an important part in binding use 1.5-2% and mix till sticky.
Binders aren't usually used in fresh sausage.

Try buying some ground pork and try again while you are waiting / thinking about a grinder . You didn't say what spice you used .

Yeah, that's a good idea. The reason I made this was that when I made boudin a couple of weeks ago, I had too much of the cured/marinated cubed pork butt, so I stuck it in the freezer, then decided to use it to try and make sausage. For the spices, I just winged it, then once I thought I had it right, fried up a tiny piece to check. The pork had been swimming with a bunch of jalapenos, so I left all those in the mix, then I added some crushed red peppers, black and white pepper, sage, onion powder, and on final examination, a bunch more cayenne for good measure. Thanks!

Not sure what cut of meat you used or fat/muscle ratio?Maybe next time,try trimming and "grinding" the muscle and fat separately.This would allow you to get the consistency you want without making a paste or emulsion.Your binding problems would likely be solved.

That was sort of what I had thought... glad to hear this! This was all from cubed up pork butt leftover from making boudin, as I said, and that came out perfect... but then again, all of it got cooked before I ground it, so... yeah. I had cut away the obviously hard fat to use for something else, but still some of it just didn't grind up raw. Your idea would probably fix it, though. Thanks!

In addition to what's already been mentioned, salt plays an important part in binding use 1.5-2% and mix till sticky. Binders aren't usually used in fresh sausage.

Hmm, yeah, ok; that makes sense. I couldn't have added any more salt to this, though, given the fact that the meat had already been sitting in an MTQ brine and was already highly seasoned. I guess the bottom line here would be not to start with that next time!! Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky