First Pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
From a Butcher & Packer kit. Made 10 lbs. worth.

7 lbs 95% lean ground  beef

3 lbs fatty ground pork

I don't like having to mop up too much grease when baking pepperoni on a pizza.

Made about 4-1/2 casings.

In the smoker (no smoke) at 110°, gradually increasing each hour until smoker temp was 180°, which was 10° more than the instructions called for, but it was getting late, and I needed to get to bed.

Cut in half while it was still a bit warm, so it doesn't yet have the classic look. Should be much better after a night in the fridge.

Taste was kind of mild at first, and I was a bit disappointed. But after a second slice, it starts to catch up with you.

Last edited:
MN490, nice looking roni !
points.gif

Looks Great, mneely!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Nice Job!
icon14.gif

I think it's the Cayenne Pepper that sneaks up on you. At least it always seems like that to me.

Bear

Looks great What size casing was that Point

Richie
I used the casings that came with the kit; stuffed, they were about 3" wide. The small piece leftover, I just wrapped in industrial-food grade plastic wrap. It can take some pretty good temps before melting.

I initially used the smaller chub for my Maverick ET-732 temp probe, but then I found the smoker probe was reading about 40° too low. I immediately got on Amazon and ordered an ET-733 that morning, and they had it to me by late afternoon, free same day delivery (and it came with a free set of Bear Claws!) I switched over and finished off the pepperoni. All told, it went about 11 hours.

Last edited:

Here's a shot of one of 2 family-sized pizzas with the pep and some mushrooms, and here's also a tip. If you have a teen-age son, or one in his twenties, don't turn your back on the pizza. We ate the first one, and I cut up the second and put it in the fridge. The next evening, it was gone....
icon_cry.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky