First MES30 Brisket, low slow 2 day or Fast,hot same day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leatherlips

Original poster
Aug 19, 2022
I’m going to be smoking a brisket soon and while I’ve smoked briskets in a charcoal smoker before, this will be my first in the MES30.

I’m trying to figure out my best course of action. Plan is to serve around 5pm, brisket size is 13lbs.

I originally was thinking of an overnight smoke, low and slow, but I’m a little concerned about leaving the smoker outside all night (we have a lot of bear and other wildlife in our area).

If I don’t do the overnight I was wondering if I could smoke it for 4-5 hours (or more) on day 1, the refrigerate until day 2. Then put it on again (oven or smoker) to finish off until it reaches in the 200 degree realm(and is probe tender).

The other option I have read up on here is a fast and hot method which would allow me to do it same day.

If there are other better options, I’d be very interested in learning those as well.

Thanks for the help!

I don't have any experience with hot/fast brisket smokes. From the lack of responses, I would guess few others do also.

There are several on here that do hot and fast........with that said you can't accomplish that on an mes. I think max temp is 275 on those? That's actually a pretty normal smoking temp and not really hot and fast. You could smoke before bed then wrap and ito the oven. I'd skip the 2 day smoke where you smoke then refrigerate then smoke again. You're wasting your time with that as you'll have to get the brisket from refrigerator temp twice

Reactions: DougE and 912smoker
You could smoke before bed then wrap and ito the oven

Thanks for the reply, I'm leaning toward your suggestion. I have read some posts where resturants smoke the day before and keep in warmers overnight to be ready for lunch crowds.
The other thing I was thinking was perhaps doing a smoke morning of, and finishing in the oven after wrapped at a higher temp. (300? or so). Looking for somewhere around an 11 hour process if I tried to do same day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky