First load of the season.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Yesterday was a great time to cut the cheese...and smoke it!

PB240049.JPG

I have some 8 and 14 year old cheddar. But couldn't convince myself to smoke it. But, I did find some 3 year old at a great price. Along with some other cheese.

20201124_081807.jpg

These went in the bullet for 3 hours using a tube smoker with a 50/50 blend of apple and Alderwood. I also put some store bought pepperoni
in there as well for a experiment.

20201125_030907.jpg

Packaged up and ready to munch. I really like these 1 pint zip lock vacuum bags! The 3 year old cheese is incredible.

I don't think I have ever seen cheese that old before, 14 years old would deserve a old bottle of wine to go with it lol, I will smoke some soon as my sons #5 PB will be staying here for awhile. temps are getting down at night to make it safe/work properly

I don't think I have ever seen cheese that old before, 14 years old would deserve a old bottle of wine to go with it lol, I will smoke some soon as my sons #5 PB will be staying here for awhile. temps are getting down at night to make it safe/work properly
I've seen 16 year old cheese before. The 8 year old as awesome. I haven't gotten into the 14 year old yet.

Don't hesitate to smoke the old stuff.

I've smoked 10 and 12 year old extra sharp white cheddar from Great Lakes and it is absolutely worth it!

Your store bought pepperoni is giving me some ideas!

Looks good Steve! That pepperoni with some sliced cheese all vacuum sealed up would make a nice little snack pack!

Yesterday was a great time to cut the cheese...and smoke it!

View attachment 472335

I have some 8 and 14 year old cheddar. But couldn't convince myself to smoke it. But, I did find some 3 year old at a great price. Along with some other cheese.

View attachment 472333

These went in the bullet for 3 hours using a tube smoker with a 50/50 blend of apple and Alderwood. I also put some store bought pepperoni
in there as well for a experiment.

View attachment 472332

Packaged up and ready to munch. I really like these 1 pint zip lock vacuum bags! The 3 year old cheese is incredible.
Saw the pepperoni and was curious. Let me know how turns out. Have any thoughts on what you think might happen or what you are going for?

Saw the pepperoni and was curious. Let me know how turns out. Have any thoughts on what you think might happen or what you are going for?

I was just looking to get a bit of smoky flavor into it. It's pretty good. I'm wondering how it'll be on pizza.

Looks good Steve. The sharp cheeses are our favorite to smoke. Gonna be some good stuff!

Looks good Steve!
I just did a load of lox, now that it has cooled down a bit down here, & cheese is the next project!
Al

I need to revisit cheese . Mines always to strong . Even after a long rest .
Nice work .

Looks great Steve! Like the pepperoni idea too.
Thanks! The pepperoni tastes pretty good. Though, I think nest time I might pull the casing off firast to allow more smoke to get in the meat.

Don't hesitate to smoke the old stuff.

I've smoked 10 and 12 year old extra sharp white cheddar from Great Lakes and it is absolutely worth it!

Your store bought pepperoni is giving me some ideas!
I might do one of the 8 year old ones when I do the curds.

Yup looks like your set for a while. Love sharp cheese the sharper the better.

Warren
Lol! Not the way we eat this stuff!

Looks good Steve! That pepperoni with some sliced cheese all vacuum sealed up would make a nice little snack pack!
Thank you! I already gave a few of them away. They are a nice little snack like that.

Looks good Steve. The sharp cheeses are our favorite to smoke. Gonna be some good stuff!
Thanks Travis! And I'm glad to hear your son is ok.

Looks good Steve!
I just did a load of lox, now that it has cooled down a bit down here, & cheese is the next project!
Al
Thanks Al. My wife wants me to smoke some trout or Lox. I think I'll do some reading up on that.

So you smoked it with the cheese. Was wondering if you just sliced it and stuck it in with the cheese.

I did both. Sliced and whole. The sliced came out nice and smoky. The whole piece. Not so much.

Wow Steve.That's a nice haul. I'm gonna be looking into that 1000 Island cheese. Might just have to order up a bunch if shipping isn't cost prohibitive. You pick that up on your vacation last week?

Robert

Wow Steve.That's a nice haul. I'm gonna be looking into that 1000 Island cheese. Might just have to order up a bunch if shipping isn't cost prohibitive. You pick that up on your vacation last week?

Robert
The 3 year old stuff I found at our Walmart.

Bought some 4 year old white sharp cheddar a long time ago to make something with, it was great, I will have to start looking at cheese's a little closer think I may have over looked some good stuff, sharper the better imo also

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky