First Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldFartFarmer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Thank you all for putting up with me,
I got 5 pounds of angus beef yesterday, cut it up today, end result was 4.5 pounds and its marinating in the fridge,
my old scale didn't work, told me i only had 2 pounds of meat, so i went and got me a new digital scale, this one works,,lol
Ive changed it out of the bowl and put it in a ziplock bag, with no air
I went the simple route for my 1st time and did the recipe Holly2015 posted for me
supposed to be 40 deg here on friday so ill get my outside fireplace roaring
and sit outside with the charcoal-smoker making jerky
IMG_1116.JPG

I think I'm jealous of you having an outdoor fireplace ;)

Let us know how it turns out. I never do beef jerky, I use pork loin, economical for me, so I can experiment more.

I make 20 or 30 batches per year - but signing on to this thread to see how you like it!

LIKE! for making your first batch

I just did my first batch of jerky on Saturday. Marinated a top round roast overnight. Brine was a cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of worchestshire sauce, onion powder, brown sugar, pepper, and a tsp of curing salt. Eveyone raved about it. I have a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker and had it set to 165.

I used to try to make jerky in the oven and also in the smoker...but a forced air dehydrator was so much less work, so that's the way I do it 99% of the time now.

I also get my marinade packets from www.OwensBBQ.com. I used to make my own marinades, but the sheer convenience of their delicious marinades, at very cost competitive prices, keeps me coming back to Owens BBQ for more.

Here is my tutorial...for forced air dehydrator jerky
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...air-dehydrator-step-by-step-with-pics.269170/

Looks good to me!
And a nice fire, while doing your Jerky sounds great!
Dad (wife's Dad) likes sitting out in his backyard in his open air patio/BBQ spot burning wood.

Same here using Ziploc bags as marinading chambers. But I got a Vacuum marinading chamber after using one at my Daughter's up in Washington. I still let it go overnight though.

Enjoy your fire and makin Jerky. Here's hoping it comes out to your liking!

Thank you all for putting up with me,
I got 5 pounds of angus beef yesterday, cut it up today, end result was 4.5 pounds and its marinating in the fridge,
my old scale didn't work, told me i only had 2 pounds of meat, so i went and got me a new digital scale, this one works,,lol
Ive changed it out of the bowl and put it in a ziplock bag, with no air
I went the simple route for my 1st time and did the recipe Holly2015 posted for me
supposed to be 40 deg here on friday so ill get my outside fireplace roaring
and sit outside with the charcoal-smoker making jerky
View attachment 382592
The veri veri teriyaki sauce is one of my favorite on everything. Whats the recipe that you used for this?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky