First Ham, First Turkey and some amazing looking BB ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by abomb, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I just wanted to share what my family and I enjoyed on Christmas. For Christmas Eve, I smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs and a 16 lbs spiral cut ham.  It was my first ham to do and it was awesome.  I would like to find a really good glaze recipe if anyone has one???  I smoked the Ham and ribs using some Hickory wood in my GOSM.  I smoked the Ham at 225°F for about 5 hours, and used the 3-2-1 method on my ribs, except these ribs were pretty thick so I did more of a 3-2-2. I also smoked my first turkey this Christmas, it was a fresh (never frozen) 23lbs turkey from a local meat market. I injected the turkey with a mixture of melted butter and Tony's, then basted the turkey with the same mixture throughout the smoke.  I used the same hickory wood and smoker for this smoke but I let the temp come up a little bit to around 275°F.  I had to pull it out of the smoker about 4-1/2 hrs. (it was at about 150° internal) into the smoke because it was christmas morning and we had to go the inlaws.  I put it in a big roasting pan at a low temp to let it finish cooking. My first ham and turkey was a great success! Qview below. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now go wipe the drouwl off of your desk!!! :) Thanks for looking!!!

mballi3011 and meateater like this.
  2. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now you jumped in with both feet didn't you. Now it looks good to me I really like the ribs but the ham does look good too.[​IMG]

3. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you check out the newslatters last Aprils Jeff did a ham and it was good.  I have used it many times

4. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice work!  Congrats!!  [​IMG]

5. thebarbequeen

thebarbequeen Smoking Fanatic

Boy, that all came out GREAT looking!!!  Makes me want to get a ham going real soon!  I've done a currant jelly/vanilla bean/champagne glaze that's very tasty, but might be too subtle unless you use a fruit wood for smoking.  There's as many glazes out there as there are rubs - trust your taste buds and go for it!

6. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Out Frickin Standing! That's a great looking ham and I bet the rest was just as great.

7. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice smoke my friend, It all looks great but I love the color of the ham! and your right about the drouwl  [​IMG]

8. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

NICE !-----Really nice !!!

Thanks for showing,

Bear

9. Thanks for the compliments guys.  It was all great and I got lots of great compliment even from my inlaws that claimed they have never liked smoked meats.  They left with full bellies and smiles on their faces.  I owe it all to this website.  Just about everything I have learned is from you guys so THANK YOU!