• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First go at snack sticks

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Hoping I'm doing this right today? I have a Backwoods snack stick kit. Put together 5lbs for a first run. Through the stuffer with the provided casings. Look good so far.
Put them in the MES but it's so hot today I could only get it down to 135 with some ice? Got the sticks in hang from the rack. Gonna go 1.5 hours like that with no smoke then up 10 degrees every hour after that with smoke until i hit 170 & the sticks hit 155

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Just did a test fry. Hoping the smoke adds the flavor I'm looking for cause the test fry taste like seasoned ground beef?

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
What kinda casings?   Assuming collegen,

The smoke and the rest period after will change the taste, will it be what you want?    Let us know.

Last edited:

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Thanks farmer!! Had a little hick-up with the MES didn't know you HAVE to have the timer on to heat. Learned that here on the forums!! Going good. If it's not the flavor I want then there an opportunity to improve. Maybe some cheese & jalapeños? And yes they are collegen

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Second time with the MES still getting the hang of it

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
I always make sure I see the red light turn on and set the timer to 24 hours. Lol

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
8 hours later & this is what we have. I'm gonna let them sit for a little while then into the fridge overnight

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Hope they taste as good as they look!

Al

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Those sticks look nice.

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
them there sticks sure look good from here ,,, nice job 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Thanks guys!! I can't believe how fun & easy they were to make. Pretty taste for a first round. Heads going crazy with ideas now. Cheddar cheese, or pepper jack, maybe teriyaki, maybe pickle some.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 3, 2013
Those look awesome! B

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
great looking sticks! the last ones i made, were in collegen castings, i did not like the casing after they were frozen, tasted like something not natural. rubbery

dannylang

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Just did a test fry. Hoping the smoke adds the flavor I'm looking for cause the test fry taste like seasoned ground beef?
They ARE seasoned ground beef! The smoke makes the magic..
Looking good!
Thumbs Up

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.